glass shelf in shower niche [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : glass shelf in shower niche

dschwake
01-02-2017, 09:39 PM
If I use tempered glass shelves in this niche will the RedGard show through? Do I cover the RegGard with something before putting the shelves in?

Sponsored Links

epalmer
01-02-2017, 09:53 PM
I've got some tempered glass shelves in my kitchen, so I did a little experimenting.

The first thing I noticed is that though the glass looks relatively clear, perhaps a tiny bit greenish, the exposed edge looks quite green and I gather this is fairly normal for tempered glass. The wall behind it is light green, but putting a white cloth behind it didn't make any difference at all. Putting a red silicone pot holder behind it made just made the outer edge look a bit darker and slightly less green. If your glass looks similar I'd say leave that red be it won't hurt anything and might even reduce the green cast tiny bit - if it isn't totally covered by thinset anyway. In any case it didn't really make much difference, and I couldn't see much of what was behind the glass edge on at least. Of course on the bottom, if you intend to use glass there too, the red would show right through and you'd want to make sure it was well covered.

Kman
01-02-2017, 10:42 PM
Skim over it with thinset and it won't show through.

jerrymlr1
01-03-2017, 06:54 AM
I would do the same as Kevin and use white thinset on the sides to cover the redguard. You will still see the green edge because of the iron in the glass. Low iron glass, Starphire glass, can greatly reduce that. It's a little more effort finding it depending on where you live but it's used in aquariums so it's around.

Houston Remodeler
01-03-2017, 08:06 AM
We normally put the glass shelf in after all the tile is set. The glass piece is simply cut to size which allows the use of those clear glass shims to hold it in place while the silicone around the edges cures. This allows for expansion and contraction.