tile over tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : tile over tile

lowlife
12-31-2016, 11:33 AM
can I install ceramic over existing 4 1/4 glazed tile on walls over SOLID mud base? had guy give estimate for custom paint over tile 3400.00 for 350 sq ft that seems like a lot compared to new tile, thanks.

Sponsored Links

Houston Remodeler
12-31-2016, 11:40 AM
Check into Eco Prim Grip. I'd add some waterproofing if you don't have any already.

Tool Guy - Kg
12-31-2016, 12:09 PM
What Paul said. And for a typical "re-glazing" of painting over tile: If you assume typical circumstances, it initially sounds fairly high. I imagine there's a fair amount of open wall to sum total up to that 350 sq/ft.

:)

jadnashua
12-31-2016, 01:32 PM
It somewhat would depend on if you wanted to see the shape of the tiles through the paint job or not. If you want the floor to just look like a totally flat surface and it is tiled, you have to do a lot more prep to smooth things out first.

Davy
12-31-2016, 02:56 PM
Jim, I think he's talking about walls but your point still applies, the imprint of the squares will show thru. I think a lot depends on the custom paint job. We all have seen some pretty high dollar paint jobs that involve many steps. Also, it may depend on how cut up the areas are, windows and other things to work around. For all we know, that price might not be enough. :)

lowlife
01-05-2017, 09:22 AM
thanks for advice on Mapei products, unfortunately there no retailers here in frozen Peoria Il. that sell it. I do have access to Ardex p82 and was curious if any pros have used this product. Going over glazed tile set in mud base on walls, small area on floor also.Thanks again