How to tile around a metal fireplace? Picture attached. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : How to tile around a metal fireplace? Picture attached.

trevorsimko
12-31-2016, 11:09 AM
I'm doing small fireplace surround for someone. It looks like the previous tile guy spot set the pieces to the metal and the wood and it obviously didn't stick. They don't care about damaging the wood or the metal, they just want the tile to stick properly. My thoughts were to fasten the cement board with screws to the wood where I can, and use an adhesive to the metal. Any better ideas? I'm really not sure what's behind the metal for the fireplace.

Sponsored Links

Carbidetooth
12-31-2016, 11:34 AM
Hi Trevor, first thing I'd do is see if I could figure out who the fireplace mfg. is and see what their recs are. The hood over is curious to me...is it gas logs? What's the adhesive we see there?

Does the metal surround get warm? Differential movement would be biggest issue it seems. I might be inclined to slab this rather than tile.

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
01-01-2017, 01:12 PM
That's a tough one. Are you willing to remove all the tile or are you just trying to repair one piece?