Redi-tile improperly installed [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Redi-tile improperly installed

Brentay79
12-30-2016, 11:21 AM
My contractor improperly installed the redi-tile shower pan. He did not put a thinset base under it so it flexes and grout comes out. Neither did he tighten down the center, so we have to push the water UP to the center to get it to drain!
I know, I know......but is there anything we can do now to prevent ripping out the shower? We were thinking of a thinset base on the floor and sandpainting it? Any other suggestions? We just want to fix it the cheapest and best way, as we are planning on selling the house. We don't want to leave new owners with these issues.
Thanks,
Al

Sponsored Links

evan1968
12-30-2016, 12:02 PM
Call the original installer and see when he will be coming out to fix his mistake.:nod:

Carbidetooth
12-30-2016, 12:34 PM
Sandpainting? I know that as an art form but don't think it's gonna do much for you in this case.

I suspect the only recs you'll get here will involve fixing the problems at their core, which mean demo. Anything else is a bandaid and it sounds like you don't want to leave that for future owner.

Here's an interesting little tidbit. If you do nothing and don't disclose to next owner, you stand some legal liability. Happened to my sister and the cheapest way out was coughing up $8k months after closing. Sucks but happened... and she had no idea of the deficiency! The whole thing was so wrong on so many levels...

Tool Guy - Kg
12-30-2016, 11:14 PM
Hi, Al.

How old is this install?

What is the substrate to the pan?

Is there access below the shower?

:)