Kerdi Drain Sitting High [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Kerdi Drain Sitting High

barretbn
12-28-2016, 01:57 PM
Newbie DIYer for bathroom remodel. It's been one headache after another. I was originally going to mud it and set the grade there, but was talked into going with a Kerdi pan and drain. Problem is, I cemented in the pan without checking the height of the drain assembled. When I attempted to thinset in the drain, it sat about 1/4 of an inch higher than the pan it was supposed to be level with. I don't want to pull the pan out and replace. A few suggestions made was removing the rubber gasket off of the kerdi adapter that's supposed to clamp to the floor, and cement it all in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

jadnashua
12-28-2016, 03:09 PM
Are you using the clamping drain conversion Kerdi drain kit?

barretbn
12-28-2016, 03:22 PM
Yes, I am using the clamping drain with adapter

jadnashua
12-28-2016, 04:50 PM
I'd call Schluter...you might be able to cut off enough of the horn on the thing to let it go down that 1/4". It is long enough to let it be raised, and still may make an adequate seal if you had it all the way down with a bit sliced off.

An alternative would be to use an inside pipe cutter, cut off the existing drain down a bit, install a coupler and a new riser the proper height for their 'normal' glue-in drain. That would depend somewhat on how far down the p-trap is. There are tools designed to bore the pipe out of the fitting, and you could cut the pipe above the p-trap, bore out the old pipe, then install a new riser. All of that can be done from above.

barretbn
12-28-2016, 05:28 PM
Thanks for your reply. We did call schluter and they said to replace the pan... I may run your other recommendation to my father and see if it's something we can do. Thanks again for your post. You mention cutting down the horn; which part of the drain are you referring to. My father had mentioned that as well, but I wasn't sure. He thought about putting the gasket in without the metal adapter, but I was hesitant only cause it has nothing to lock into.

jadnashua
12-28-2016, 06:47 PM
Look at page 15 https://sccpublic.s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/sys-master/images/hb9/h70/8828764094494/Shower%20System%20Data%20Sheet.pdf

It sounds like the thing is bottomed out against where the drain gets bigger in diameter, so cutting off some of the horn won't help.

What Schluter recommends when you can't replace or reposition the clamping drain is to use a sheet of foam underneath the tray (bonded with thinset). But, should you end up trashing the existing foam pan, it's much cheaper to make the pan out of deckmud...even if you have to buy the materials 2-3 times to get it right (normally, not the case!). The foam pans are nice if they'll work for you, but they're not inexpensive unless you're paying someone to install, then, it could be a tossup of labor + materials, verses you doing it with more expensive materials with free labor.

barretbn
12-28-2016, 09:42 PM
Thank you, I will take your advice into consideration. It's good to get a second opinion.