going around a corner. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : going around a corner.

kd5exp
12-28-2016, 11:09 AM
I am trying to build a walk in shower for my wife that has had a stroke. I took out the shower tub fiberglass part by cutting it in three pieces. I was going to build a bench so she could sit on the toilet and slide over onto the bench. I was told that the water would run out from the bench. So I built a wall there with 2 by 4s and worked out good. My question is how to tile around this 2 by 4 wall and make it look nice. It is all done in 6 by 6 white tile. I cannot find any corner tile to wrap around and butting the tile together I don't think would look good. Any suggestions on how to proceed. This is my first shower and have just about wore youtube out watching how to do this. I can't seem to find anything out on this part. I found this site and hoping I will get some suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

Carbidetooth
12-28-2016, 11:22 AM
Welcome Gene, I've never liked the looks of butted bullnose either, but there are alternatives.

I'd likely choose a Schluter profile designed just for this purpose

http://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/Profiles/For-Walls/c/P-FW

EthylOH
12-29-2016, 03:05 AM
Hi Gene,

I would just cut down one of the tiles on each side (so that the tile has square edges) so that it fits evenly on the end of the wall. Then overlap the tile with bullnose on each side.

It should look like this:

Tool Guy - Kg
12-29-2016, 10:15 AM
Jon,

Gene's question is how to handle the corner when bullnoses aren't available.

:)

cx
12-29-2016, 10:31 AM
Welcome, Gene. :)

If I understand your situation, I generally miter the corners by back-beveling the tile on each side and grouting the resulting joint. Here's one example of some 6"x6" glazed wall tile done that way.

191511 Cut your tile like so: 191510

Flower pot is optional.

Tool Guy - Kg
12-29-2016, 08:08 PM
That's a fine drawing. :tup2:

kd5exp
12-29-2016, 08:44 PM
I like the looks of that miter cut corner. I will play with that and see what I can do. Thanks CX