Master bath floor [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Master bath floor

Mjkeest
12-26-2016, 03:50 PM
Hi I'm new to the forum.
I am looking for some advise on floor prep for master bathroom. I hav a good structure with 2 x 10 and 3/4 osb t n g subfloor. Deflection is not and issue.
I am installing porcelain planks 6 x 24.
I have just read the review of laticrete hydro ban liquid membrane on the JB web page. It sounds like a snap to work with. Question is, can it be applied directly to the 3/4 subfloor? Is that adequate to decouple or do I need another decouple mat.
Remodel project started because of a improperly installed shower pan. Replaced shower and used Kerdi presloped pan and Kerdi liner. All worked well due to this forum!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

rmckee84
12-27-2016, 10:29 AM
Hydroban is not suitable for use over osb. Assuming you are good to go with joist structure and subfloor then look at ditra or Ardex flexbone if you are wanting waterproofing for the floor. If you aren't needing the waterproof aspect of the uncoupling mats then look into stratamat.

Mjkeest
12-29-2016, 11:59 AM
Ok thank you. One other question- does it need to be waterproof? It has a walk in shower and a bath tub. No steam or anything.

rmckee84
12-29-2016, 02:54 PM
If you have a zero entry walk in shower then typically the waterproofing that is used for the shower pan is extended out onto the floor. If you have a curb then waterproofing the main floor isn't a necessity. But if you use ditra or Ardex flexbone uncoupling mats it takes very little extra work to waterproof the seams.

Sharon @ LATICRETE
01-03-2017, 11:22 AM
As Ryan said above, HYDRO BANĀ® is not suitable for use over OSB, nor is OSB a suitable substrate for a tile installation (assuming tile will be installed).

We would recommend the proper installation of backer board (e.g. cement backer board or fiber cement underlayment) onto the OSB and then waterproof that board with HYDRO BAN (https://laticrete.com/our-products/tile-and-stone-installation-and-maintenance/anti-fracture/hydro-ban) prior to installation of tile or stone.