Tile over plaster tub/shower brick home [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile over plaster tub/shower brick home

douglascase
12-26-2016, 11:55 AM
I have a 1926 Denver brick bungalow that consists of exterior brick with a 1" airspace then another layer of brick with plaster on the interior. I believe the plaster is adhered to the brick? I want to add a tub shower but two of the walls are on the exterior. The plaster is in great shape but my concern is adhesion. I was thinking of just using red guard over the paint and tiling away. I could use kerdi but thought red guard would get the job done. Any advice on what's the best way to proceed? My concern is adhesion to the paint and if I rough it up lead is a concern as well. Thanks Doug

Sponsored Links

cx
12-27-2016, 07:08 PM
Welcome, Doug. :)

While a liquid applied direct bonded waterproofing membrane (Red Gard in your example) is fine for shower walls, your problem will be the transition from wall to tub. Even with a proper tiling flange on the tub you'll have no way of having your wall lap over the tiling flange or even being flush with or proud of the inside surface of it.

How had you planned to overcome that?

I think your best bet would be to fur out your walls a bit and use a CBU for your wallboard and have it overlap the tub's tiling flange. Then your RedGard would work just fine as your waterproofing.

I would think that would be even more beneficial in your geographic area as it would provide some room for insulation. I would think that those masonry walls would be rather cold this time of year.

My opinion; worth price charged.

douglascase
01-02-2017, 10:58 AM
Thank you for the reply! The tub lip does present a challenge. I believe furring it out would be best as I would be able to run electric adjacent to the tub for the vanity with less headaches then. Insulation would be a plus! Thanks again!