Removing a glued underlayment [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Removing a glued underlayment

rnataraja
12-24-2016, 02:03 PM
Hi

I a man trying to remove a linoleum floor and see that there is an underlayment which is glued very strongly to the plywood.

What is the best way to remove it?

A floor scrapper available for rent from Home Depot?

Thanks
Raj

Sponsored Links

cx
12-24-2016, 02:15 PM
Welcome, Raj. :)

What is the underlayment you're finding under there? I'm not getting any hints from your photo.

rnataraja
12-24-2016, 03:08 PM
Hi CX,

Thanks a lot for the reply.
The one I lifted up with fingers is the underlayment. There is no specific brand or label information on it. It was under the linoleum sheet itself and is glued to the particleboard / plywood as you can see in the picture.

Does that give any clues?

evan1968
12-24-2016, 03:15 PM
My money is on Luan. It's usually under linoleum.

But after re-reading your post.....Is what's in your hand the underlayment you are asking about? Was that under the linoleum? If it was, it's VCT.

cx
12-24-2016, 03:49 PM
I was thinking what you had in your hand was the "linoleum" flooring you intended to remove. If, instead, those squares of flooring are what you're calling the underlayment, I've gotta agree with Craig that that's a previous VCT (Vinyl Composition Tile) floor covering. You now need to know what's under that.

My opinion; worth price charged.

rnataraja
12-24-2016, 03:52 PM
They are really not tiles. The whole
Sheet just has squares drawn. It's one sheet you are seeing after I gotnridnof the linoleum

cx
12-24-2016, 03:55 PM
It's still another floor covering similar to the linoleum you removed, Raj. Gotta determine what's under it before you can proceed.

Chances are the next layer is a thin plywood of a type not suitable for a ceramic tile installation or even a thin particle board, which is even less suitable. You need to determine that and then what's under all that for a subfloor and for your joist structure.

That presumes that you intend to install ceramic tiles on your floor. The presumption being on accounta we're a ceramic tile information website. :)

My opinion; worth price charged.

rnataraja
12-24-2016, 05:14 PM
Hi CX

THANKS. Yes I plan to install a hard backer and tile the kitchen floor.

Raj

jadnashua
12-24-2016, 09:10 PM
Particle board is not suitable anywhere in the vertical buildup nor are some types of plywood. A very common one used underneath sheet goods is luan, or a similar wood. That type of ply will not work underneath tile.

Without knowing what is in that stackup plus the joist structure beneath it, there is no way to tell if tile will survive on your floor. Cement board (cbu) is a compatibility layer...it essentially has no flexural strength on a floor. What's important is what's underneath it.

rnataraja
12-25-2016, 12:25 AM
This is what I see after in scraped off the glued underlayment.
Does this look like particle board?

If it is then I have decided to back out from using ceramic tiles. I will just place a Liam board and do the vinyl tiles.

Thanks
Rajesh

Steve in Denver
12-25-2016, 01:51 AM
Sorry to say, that's particle board.