Back lattice pattern shows thru front. Defective tile? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Back lattice pattern shows thru front. Defective tile?

cflemeta
12-23-2016, 09:23 PM
DIYer here. I purchased 12x24 porcelain tiles and was getting ready for installation. I took them out of the box to lay out the pattern and I am noticing that the "lattice" pattern that is on the back of the tile is "bleeding" thru the front.

Having only done travertine and ceramic before, I don't know if this is normal and goes away when it's set or if the tiles are defective.

I am attaching picture. I have looked thru 10 tiles thus far, and all of them have this issue.

Any help on this would be appreciated. I will be contacting the store I got them when they are open in a couple of days but was hoping for a quicker answer as I was hoping for install in the next day or two.

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links

Houston Remodeler
12-23-2016, 10:00 PM
Chris,

What you have is mold release / kiln release that transferred from the back of the tile stacked above to the face of the tile stacked below.

A poultice may be able to scrub it away. You'd have to give it a whirl to see what happens.

cflemeta
12-23-2016, 11:07 PM
That is what lack of sleep and age will do to a man...

.. you are right on. Problem solved, used a soft scrub paste. :wohoo:

Thanks!
Chris

Houston Remodeler
12-23-2016, 11:24 PM
I like to say I'd win at Jeopardy! ...... but a week later. :idea: