help with grout dried onto surface of natural slate [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : help with grout dried onto surface of natural slate

jacoro12
12-23-2016, 12:15 PM
I am a complete novice so please forgive me if this is a dumb question.
I recently had a contractor tile my kitchen floor as part of a remodel project. The floor was done in natural slate (California gold). Being natural slate, there are lots of ridges and dimples on the surface that are now filled with grout. I'm not an expert, but shouldn't the grout have been cleaned off the surface thoroughly and then sealed as part of a normal installation? I brought this up with the installer and got "That's just how it is."

Is there a good way I can clean up the grout on my own now that it's dried? It really detracts from the looks of the stone. Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links

jadnashua
12-23-2016, 02:11 PM
It takes extra work to clean grout out of the pockets of an ungauged slate tile.

FWIW, grout cures...the drying is incidental because of the extra water added to make it spreadable...it will cure while still being wet. Once it has cured, it continues to get harder over time. Industry standards recognize this, but must establish a date at which to define it's strength and hardness, and that is chosen to be 28-days. The longer it sits, literally up into years, it will continue to get harder. If you wish to clean it out of those pockets, the sooner you start, the easier it will be. There are some grout cleaner products out there that will make the job easier.

I'm not a pro, but my expectation would be that the only grout would be in the joints between the tile.

Houston Remodeler
12-23-2016, 05:05 PM
I'm gonna side with the installer. If you wanted those areas to be free of grout, you should have told the installer ahead of time. The normal grouting process fills those nooks and crannies. In past installations we have done mock ups, sealed before, not sealed before, even going as far as masking the face of each tile before grouting. But the customer paid extra for that.

Pre-sealing would not stop the grout from getting in the nooks and crannies. It would make it easier to remove though.