Questions on Bathroom Project [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Bathroom Project

Gary.P
12-21-2016, 12:17 PM
My dad has asked me to help him with putting tile in his basement bathroom. I have tiled my upstairs bathroom and kitchen with help and advice from this forum and really appreciate your advice. This will be first job on concrete.

As I stated before the bathroom is in the basement on a 40 year old pad. There has been one patch made to the pad where they busted out the concrete to put the sewer line for the toilet.

They currently have carpet in the area and will be going up for Christmas to get a better idea.

To get ahead start on the project I am looking for advice.

How to deal with the hair line cracks or possible worse from the Toilet/sewer patch. Some type of crack preventer?

I know I need to check the floor for low and high spots and what would be the best product to use fix that issue if need be.

I told them I would stick with porcelain tiles.

As soon as I can get pictures I will post.

Thanks,

Gary

Sponsored Links

Tool Guy - Kg
12-21-2016, 10:43 PM
Hopefully, the patch is well supported so it's not sinking. Sinking is a problem that can't be solved with anything other than fixing the patch properly.

But for cracks, you're looking for a crack isolation membrane. They come in two varieties: Sheet membranes like NobleSeal CIS, or as a roll-on liquid applied membranes like Custom Building Product's RedGard or Laticrete's Hydroban.

But to understand which may be better, the first question to ask is: Is there a fair amount of moisture coming up from the slab? A little? Dry as a bone? I ask because it's a common problem and many membranes have an upper limit of "moisture transmission" before you can't use them.

:)

Gary.P
12-22-2016, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the response. The concrete pad is dry as a bone. They have never had water problems in 40 years and I will hopefully get to see the patch on Christmas. My dad says that the patch has not settled at all, but I will have to see if I can make it up there. They are supposed to get 16" of snow this weekend. Heck I helped him put the patch in when I was in grade school, just can't remember the details that far back :-)