Yellow Grout [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Grout

oldworldmo
12-21-2016, 10:32 AM
I work for a custom home builder, and out tile subcontractor installed a kitchen backsplash six months ago. The tile, white Carrara subway with Bostik unsanded grout, began yellowing near the range hood approximately two months ago. The grout was removed and replaced in that area and sealed, twice, a month ago and the grout has started yellowing again. I've attached a picture, any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

sdiguana
12-21-2016, 10:34 AM
My first guess would have been oils from cooking, do they regularly use the range hood fan? Can you wipe any cooking oils off the upper tiles?

oldworldmo
12-21-2016, 11:11 AM
No, they've only cooked twice on the range since it has been replaced. No frying, but water boiling.

ZZZK
12-21-2016, 12:50 PM
Notice that the staining starts further up, as you would expect for steam/oils that expand out as they rise. Also it is only above the areas of the range right? Seems to me like it is related to cooking. The owners say they only used the range twice? They live in the house no? Seems unlikely they would only have used it twice in two months and just for boiling water. Seems unlikely that they would be ordering or eating out for every meal or only reheating TV dinners or something. Ranges are used a lot pretty much everyday in your typical household. I would look up into the hood and see if you see any signs of grease and cooking. With white grout cooking oils will be very obvious. Something like epoxy grout would make it easier to clean and scrub out since it won't absorb the oils but with white grout over a stove it will develop a discoloring film no matter what eventually. A grey grout color like Laticrete smoke grey would probably have made the staining less apparent but it will still happen from cooking.

epalmer
12-21-2016, 01:08 PM
Looks like cooking grease to me too... I don't do any deep frying myself and rarely brown meats or do other really messy things, but even if you are just frying onions etc. some of the oil will aerosolize. On my stainless range hood, it's not immediately noticeable until you start to wipe it off, then you realize that there's a film on there.

Kman
12-21-2016, 10:46 PM
What setting material was used?

Tool Guy - Kg
12-21-2016, 11:13 PM
I, like Kevin, am really interested in what setting material was used? Please be as specific as you can.

:)

Tool Guy - Kg
01-01-2017, 03:19 AM
Monique, you still there...or did we lose you?

:)

oldworldmo
01-05-2017, 08:53 AM
Hi guys,
Sorry for the delayed response. I have no idea what the setting material is, however, the yellow was removed by using stonetech cleaner. The homeowner isn't happy that they have to clean the tile every time they use it though!
Thank you for everyone's response!
Happy New Year!