Tile edge question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile edge question

rudyjr
12-21-2016, 08:06 AM
I am presently helping to remodel a bathroom for my son in laws mother. We have removed the existing soaking tub and installed a 36x60 Kohler pan in its place. She has picked a white ceramic subway tile for the walls that has a beveled edge that is approximately 1/2 inch wide from a Floor and Decor store. There seems to be no bullnose or edge trim tiles available to match this material. We were going to use Schluter trim on the edge of the end walls and around the niche but we are concerned about how this will look due to the difference in thickness of uncut and cut tiles because of the edge profile. Any suggestions on how to deal with this issue?

Sponsored Links

eurob
12-21-2016, 09:28 AM
I would suggest to arrange the layout in a way to start or have both tiles cut -- the full starter too -- where end points are needed .

I've seen it done -- full and cuts -- , it is weird . Lot more work in cutting all of them at ending points . Just an idea .

Wondering if the mfg. doesn't fabricate halves for such beveled tiles .

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
12-21-2016, 09:13 PM
I agree with Roberto. You'll still have the joints that have the bevels in them but it will look much better than a think and thin end in the profile edge.

Todd Groettum
12-22-2016, 08:03 AM
That makes three of us and a Trifecta means we HAVE a winner!!! ;)

rudyjr
12-23-2016, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the input and ideas it does seem odd that the mfg doesnt have a tile for this.

jadnashua
12-23-2016, 02:19 PM
Tile made in Europe has been getting away from special edging and shapes in tile for decades...it's quite rare over there. This is one major reason why Schluter company started out with tile profiles decades ago. They only added the membranes long after they became established with their profiles.

Now that the majority of tile is porcelain, and the machines are optimized to make larger and larger tile, the market for special shapes is taking backseat.