Entry threshold help? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Entry threshold help?

louky
12-20-2016, 11:32 AM
I am tiling my kitchen with porcelain tile over 3/4 tg flooring + 1/2 plywood + 1/4 hardiebacker. I have a small landing and two steps up to the floor.

What I took off of the floor and landing was 1/4 underlayment and 1/4 vinyl type tile. My plan is to do the same treatment on the landing and floor, and add 1 inch oak treads to the two steps, which will get all my elevations very close.

The issue I need help with is how to deal with the raised landing relative to the door. I have shown in the picture what I have now. The concrete stoop shown is about 1/8 above the subfloor. I will be adding 1/2 plywood, 1/4 hardiebacker and 3/8 tile to this. This will put the landing about an inch higher than the stoop. I know I can get an adjustable threshold and cut the door off, but I don't know how to deal with the difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links

cx
12-20-2016, 01:06 PM
How 'bout you back up with the camera and give us a bit of perspective, Ray? I, for one, can't make your photo fit with your description.

HooKooDoo Ku
12-20-2016, 01:52 PM
Is the door hollow or solid? If hollow, you might need to make sure there is enough solid wood along the bottom that once you trim the door, there will still be enough good wood down there.

As for the stairs in general, something to keep in mind is that building codes require the risers to not vary by more than 3/8". In other words, once everything is finished, the height from the landing to the 1st step, the height from the 1st step to the 2nd step, and the height from the 2nd step to the kitchen floor must all match to within 3/8".

As to the question about the treatment of the stoop:
If I understand your situation, you have a concrete stoop you want to tile over. If so, I don't think you want any plywood there. For one thing, build codes generally require pressure treated lumber when ever wood comes in contact with concrete. Other wise, the reason people use an additional 1/2" layer of plywood for tile installations is to minimize deflection between joists. If you're already on a concrete base, there's no need for that. All you need to do is simply either tile directly to the concrete, or use thinset to install one layer of hardie backer to cover the stoop (1/4" or 1/2", what ever is needed to get the floor height desired).

louky
12-20-2016, 07:30 PM
cx: I see what you mean and will try to post a better picture tomorrow.

The top fifth of the pic (white) is the storm door.

The next 5 inches or so (gray) is the concrete stoop You can see a dark line where the original threshold was sealed with tar to the stoop.

The next gray section with the white paper is the landing subfloor. I floated some slc on it to level; the dark splotch on the right of this section is some of the sub floor which was high enough that the slc didn't flow there.

The door is open and is at the bottom right.

HooKoo: This is a solid wood door, I won't have any problems cutting it off once I figure out how to do the threshold. If I do what I am contemplating (adding the same amount of plywood, backer board, and tile to both the floor and landing, and adding 1 inch oak treads to the steps), my risers will all be with 1/8" of each other. All this is great, but it ends up putting the stoop about an inch too low relative to the new height of the landing.