Shower remodel [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower remodel

danho
12-18-2016, 01:34 PM
Morning guys, new house same old issues. I have 2 questions that I'm looking for some advice on.

1. Hardi Backer cement board will go up on the shower walls (slate tile will go over this) and I am looking to use Redgard and Laticrete waterproofing/anti-fracture fabric as well. Here's the question. Do I install the Hardi Backer, thinset the joints along with mesh tape and then use the Laticrete and Redgard combo, or does the Laticrete fabric and Redgard replace the thinset and mesh? Here is the fabric I have. http://www.stonetooling.com/Laticrete-Waterproofing-Membrane-Fabric-Roll-p/40.56350.htm

2. I will be reinstalling the jetted bath tub that came out of the bathroom, and it has no lip for the hardi to overlap. This is the weak area that caused me to tear out the bath and rebuild due to leakage, however, the walls were not tiled before, they had sheetrock and a 3 piece surround glued on. Any ideas on how to get a solid seal around the tub other than just tiling down to the tub and silicone caulking to join the tile and tub?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links

Houston Remodeler
12-18-2016, 06:32 PM
1- Tape and float the joints with mesh tape and thinset first.

2A- Foamboard caulked to the tub
2B- Cement board caulked and RG'd to the tub
2C- Cement board mesh / fiberglass tape & RG to the tub

cx
12-18-2016, 07:33 PM
Welcome back, Dan. :)

1. If you were to use a sheet-type direct bonded waterproofing membrane applied with thinset mortar you could dispense with the filling and taping of the CBU joints. Using the liquid-applied version, do what Paul said.

2. There is no good method. The only way I'd recommend using that tub in a shower application is to use an add-on tiling flange provided by the tub manufacturer if you can find one. Otherwise you can do what Paul suggests, but I wouldn't count on any of those methods to make a long lasting installation.

My opinion; worth price charged.

danho
12-19-2016, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. The thought of an add on tiling flange never even occurred to me. As this remodel continues along, I'm sure we'll be chatting more.

Until then Happy Holidays!

Todd Groettum
12-20-2016, 07:36 AM
Use Alkali resistant Mesh tape ( USG Industries durock tape is one option) not regular sheetrock tape

danho
01-11-2017, 10:55 AM
Thanks Todd, I have a roll of Fibatape for cement board that I will be using.

I also have another question..

I am looking to use this stone mortar to attach the slate to the shower walls and am wondering if this will be ok to also use to "mud" the seams and tape of the Durock, or if I need to get thinset also?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-Natural-Stone-and-Large-Tile-50-lb-White-Premium-Mortar-MGMM50/100154560?gclid=Cj0KEQiAzNfDBRD2xKrO4pSnnOkBEiQAbzzeQeHmW0pVDIciJYGmJji48P-4BVd-oG7FrIHze0CKO08aAksL8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks.

CaliGrown
01-11-2017, 02:36 PM
That's a good modified thinset and will do just fine in your seams.

danho
01-12-2017, 11:16 AM
That's what I was hoping, thanks.