Zero-Entry shower with linear drain and 2 entrances [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Zero-Entry shower with linear drain and 2 entrances

Custom Builder
12-17-2016, 02:52 PM
Racking my brain on this one. Where would you ladies and gents put the linear drain in this shower? It's got one large frame-less sheet of glass in the middle separating it from the free-standing tub and an entrance on either side.

It will only have one large head in the middle as shown and the shower is 5'x14'. We'd like to use large tiles, but we are concerned with the transition from floor to shower if we slope from both sides to the middle as well as having to stand on the grate whilst in the shower.

If we slope it from front to back (entry to back wall) with the linear drain against the back wall, I'm afraid the floor will have to have an odd slope since the largest Schluter drain I can find is only about 5' long.

It's a spec home, but the plans are done and only minimal changes can be done.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

epalmer
12-17-2016, 03:37 PM
I don't know much about plumbing, so this may be a stupid question... but is there any reason you can't use more than one 5' drain along the back wall or would that represent too much deviation from the plans?

I would guess you want to stay with a Schulter drain because it integrates with the rest of the waterproofing, but if you decide to think about a different drain, I have an 8' Infinity Drain with a tile in insert that I need to get rid of... (and I'm not all that far away)

Houston Remodeler
12-17-2016, 03:51 PM
Shower head over the linear drain is a dumb idea.

When you dopeslap the architect, give him another for me. :tazebro:

eurob
12-17-2016, 04:16 PM
If we slope it from front to back (entry to back wall) with the linear drain against the back wall, I'm afraid the floor will have to have an odd slope since the largest Schluter drain I can find is only about 5' long.

You can use 2 of them - 5' linear drain -- , back to back or in a symmetrical placement -- architects like symmetry -- .

That's a huge open shower , I hope you have enough heating to compensate for the looks :)

Custom Builder
12-17-2016, 04:16 PM
Epalmer, must be a Schluter drain. Also, 8' will still leave me with 3' on either side and I think it will still make the floor slope look strange on the sides to get it to drop toward the drain.

Houston, yeah, you'd expect some finer details, but he did a great job on 99%.

I had also considered one on each side, but then you would be standing at the peak of the two downward slopes.

Anyone ever use two long drains with a small gap/separation in the middle?

Custom Builder
12-17-2016, 04:23 PM
Eurob, yeah main floor will have a 5 ton, 2 stage Trane and a bit smaller for the second. Our area of the PNW doesn't get much severe weather though. This home will have 10 palm trees lining the drive mixed in with Alaskan Cedars.

Houston Remodeler
12-17-2016, 04:52 PM
You can install a number of drains to make up the distance. Often we've had Laticrete drains welded together to create a specific length.

Add one vote for along the back wall. :tup2:

eurob
12-17-2016, 04:55 PM
Looks to me like you can go with the 70'' version of the linear drains -- 2 of them -- . It is probably more important to have the heating back up , if needed , when a controlled environment -- cooling system -- is in use .

But besides gang showers or open shower in an interior pool set up .....:stick: , don't know how your clients will feel about it .