Advice on tiling around this drain [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Advice on tiling around this drain

gouda722
12-13-2016, 05:54 PM
I am attempting a do it yourself shower remodel, had the drain installed by a plumber and we did a masonry shower pad around the drain. it is a pretty wide drain base where the drain itself is 2". It is cast iron.

In the images you can see the weep holes still showing under the actual drain.

Question is how to you build up the tile (we are using mosaic pebbles) to be level with the drain. do we just fill in the drain with thinset and lay tile on top of it. it may be tough to see ine image but there is a good 1/4-1/2 " drop from the shower pad down to the weep holes.

any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

FYI I've never tiled before/going to have a friend with some experience help but I'm not sure he has dealt with this issue.

Sponsored Links

Carbidetooth
12-13-2016, 06:08 PM
Looks like you're attempting to combine two different methods...can't get there from here kinda thing.

RedGard is a surface applied membrane and in the case of a shower floor could be used either with a compatible drain (Kerdi or similar) or weeping type drain in a "divot".... a shallow basin that houses the drain assembly.

Your photo raises some other concerns too. It looks like the RedGard wasn't applied at their required film thickness and the way that front of curb is done will surely be short lived.

Looks like you've added some photos while I was responding. Appears you are attempting a divot...no? Your mud bed need to be thicker creating a bigger drain recess.

gouda722
12-13-2016, 06:11 PM
Thanks. What do you see as issue with the curb ? this will be a very rarely used shower.

for the redgard that was 2 coats.

Since the drain is already firmly in place do you have any recommendations to get this to work ?

Carbidetooth
12-13-2016, 06:24 PM
Curb front looks like drywall. Water will get there...sooner rather than later.

Only way I can see to make drain work with reasonable integrity is remove what you've got and rebuild with a deeper divot/thicker mortar bed. I suppose one could build on top of existing, but not something I could recommend and certainly wouldn't offer a client.

RedGard applied at the thickness they recommend will render the writing on backer almost unreadable. Google wet film thickness gauge.

gouda722
12-13-2016, 06:36 PM
thank you for the suggestions!