DIY Ceramic tile install; bilevel [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : DIY Ceramic tile install; bilevel

Vira
07-04-2016, 11:24 PM
Hello!

I have just completed part of my ceramic installation in the lower portion of my bilevel, over concrete floor. I still have ~100 sqft to complete. (Please excuse the haphazard paint, electrical, etc, in the picture; It's still in progress!)

My question is whether I should seal my tile and my grout, or just the grout. I purchased the tile from Menards. It is Spartan Floor or Wall Ceramic Tile 12" x 22-3/4" SKU# 7382018.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

Tool Guy - Kg
07-04-2016, 11:36 PM
Hi Vira, welcome! :wave:

Glazed tile, such as yours, doesn't usually benefit from sealing. But before we tell you to simply seal your grout, tell us what you've got for grout: Either a cement based sanded or un-sanded grout? Urethane grout? Epoxy grout?

:)

Vira
07-04-2016, 11:51 PM
....tell [us] what you've got for grout: Either a cement based sanded or un-sanded grout? Urethane grout? Epoxy grout?

Thanks!

I have not yet purchased the grout. I wasn't positive on what color, so I left it for a later date - which will probably be Wednesday or Thursday of this week.

I was looking at a cement-based sanded. The grout lines are 3/16. Is this reasonable, or are there other better choices? I actually have no idea. This area will be our highest-use area, once complete, and the tile runs from the entry from the garage, to a main room with exit into the backyard and into a bathroom.

Kman
07-05-2016, 12:38 AM
If you use a standard portland grout, it's best to seal it a few days after it's been installed, especially if it's a high-traffic area.

If you opt for an epoxy grout, or something similar, you don't have to seal those, and they are typically stain resistant. For a novice, I typically recommend Laticrete Spectralock since it's fairly easy to clean up. While the premium grouts are more expensive, you'll find that over time they'll pay for themselves since you don't have to clean and re-seal every so often.

There are a number of other choices, and you'll likely be limited to what's available in your area.

Vira
07-05-2016, 12:11 PM
....For a novice, I typically recommend Laticrete Spectralock since it's fairly easy to clean up. While the premium grouts are more expensive, you'll find that over time they'll pay for themselves since you don't have to clean and re-seal every so often....

Thanks for the advice! :yo:

I did find a place which is supposed to carry the Laticrete Spectralock. There doesn't seem to be too many stores which carry it, locally. I will definitely consider using it; It is quite expensive and I have 500 sqft to grout. DIY on a budget often takes time, though.