Yellow Marble [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Marble

Andrew Thompson
02-02-2016, 12:43 PM
I have a customer who has a marble back splash and the contractor has gone MIA. She noticed a yellowing tint to the stone so she tried to clean it and as she cleaned it the stone and grout turned more yellow. Do you have any suggestions to why this happened??? can it be fixed?

Sponsored Links

dhagin
02-02-2016, 03:52 PM
1. What is the stone? Gotta link?

2. How was it installed - what mortar, method, location (kitchen, bath), etc...?

3. What has been done to the surface of the stone - sealing, cleaning, etc..., and what products used? :)

Andrew Thompson
02-02-2016, 05:10 PM
The contractor used mastic on the job. Its mainly the grout that turned yellow. this is a back splash.

Its a marble, the stone was sealed and the grout wasn't.

Davy
02-02-2016, 06:57 PM
Tell us about the grout. What brand and color?

Tool Guy - Kg
02-02-2016, 06:58 PM
It's very likely the mastic that is reacting with the stone and causing the staining. If so, there are zero remedies other than replacing.

:)

Houston Remodeler
02-02-2016, 07:00 PM
Add one vote for a complete re-do.

Sorry about that.

Rtile
02-04-2016, 05:03 PM
Tool Guy - Kg It's very likely the mastic that is reacting with the stone and causing the staining. If so, there are zero remedies other than replacing.

maybe.

But, Andrew did say that the staining was mainly in the grout.:confused:

Could very well have to do with whatever got painted on as a sealer.:scratch:

still, probably are stuck with it if you don't replace it.

Andrew Thompson
02-04-2016, 07:23 PM
The grout on the job was Tileshop superior brand. its a regular cement based grout. If you put water on it the grout turns yellow.

jadnashua
02-04-2016, 10:57 PM
Mastic and natural stone often don't play well together. Some of them contain some weird compounds, and that can stain both the stone and leach into the grout. Many mastics say not to use on natural stone.

atelier
02-04-2016, 11:02 PM
My guess is the mastic (not that it should have been used in the first place) wasn't fully dry before grouting. Whatever snot in the mastic is evaporating, it's coming through the grout and depositing on the surface of the grout. If you say it goes yellow when you wet it perhaps it is water-soluble? What if you let it dry for a couple of weeks, then tried to wash whatever yellow there is off the grout?

Or my other theory is : did she clean it with bleach? I heard bleach can turn white grout yellow. If there is still cleaner on the surface of the grout, then re-wetting it may make it yellow again, or just make the yellow more visible.

Either way marble should never be installed with mastic.