Glass Tile in a stainless steel pool [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Glass Tile in a stainless steel pool

HC
07-10-2015, 11:15 AM
Can anyone offer some insight into an issue im dealing with. Stainless steel pool supplier wont warrant the pool using bisazza opus romano tile.
ive had numerous others tell me it is not as issue and they would happily install it.
The reason they say is concern the tiles will pop off with contraction and expansion. Others say no issue if it installed correctly

They have been awarded the job so I have to deal with it

any help?

Sponsored Links

jerrymlr1
07-10-2015, 05:10 PM
Who won't supply the warrantee? The pool contractor or maker? I can understand if the contractor won't warrantee the tile installation. It is an issue IMO. Glass mosaics are difficult enough to get right in a concrete pool. The stainless will have some movement or expansion issues. The installer is the one who guarantees his work but if he is subbing for the pool contractor then the pool contractor is on the hook if and when you have problems. Where is the pool? Condo? Yacht? ??

Tool Guy - Kg
07-10-2015, 09:12 PM
Welcome to the forum, Hollz! :wave:

This is a fairly significant problem and I think the only folks that will tell you it can be done w/o problems are those who want the work.

I suggest you call a few setting manufacturers. I think that talking to the folks that have PhDs in chemistry and physics will tell you a much gloomier picture than those installers that are excited to take on the install.

:)

MAPEI - Technical Service
07-13-2015, 08:48 AM
The good news is, it can be done. The bad news is, it can't be done easily. Our recommendation is to spot weld metal lathe to the stainless to give it grab, skim coat it with our Granirapid then install with Granirapid and grout with Kerapoxy CQ (if it's an outdoor pool, dark epoxy grouts like blues and greens can fade above the water line over time due to UV, just an FYI to pass along to the owners).

The key to glass tile is to accommodate the high expansion with extra movement joints. Err on the side of 8' between soft joints so that the tile doesn't crack or pop off. Give us a call if you need any additional info.

Here is a drawing of the system, although the 1x1 porcelain tile in this case would be replaced with your glass tiles:

Executive Flooring
07-13-2015, 11:35 AM
Not to step on Dans toes and his advice, but I do believe Laticrete will allow it using their Latapoxy directly to the metal. They also have a recommended installation just like Mapei using the lathe too.

cx
07-13-2015, 12:23 PM
Do the glass tile folks subscribe to that direct bond to metal with an epoxy adhesive, Ray?

Executive Flooring
07-13-2015, 03:14 PM
Well CX as we all know, it's not always easy trying to get all parties involved to work happily together.

The best is when you call a tile manufacturer and their best installation advice is "use thinset mortar" and that's all the info they can give you.

And of course, nobody wants to take the blame is something goes wrong (which is why I get everything in writing).

MAPEI - Technical Service
07-14-2015, 02:12 PM
I won't shoot down anyone's recommendation if it works and they're comfortable standing behind it. Our challenge with direct bonding with epoxy is that you have essentially three layers (the stainless steel, the epoxy, and the glass) that are all shrinking and growing at three different rates and all three are on the high end of the scale. Glass is a different animal than porcelain tile and bonding to a steel substrate only adds to the fun.