Trouble finding non-slip tile for shower [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Trouble finding non-slip tile for shower

AKR
05-17-2015, 06:01 AM
I've read a billion different articles and forum posts about what tile to use and not use for the shower floor - I just can't seem to actually FIND any. I've been to Home Depot and Lowes and neither seems to have what I'm looking for. I look all over Amazon and no luck either. The only smaller tile (2" or so with mesh backing) I can find has a horrible slip rating. Anything I find online seems to be no better. Where in the world are people finding this mythical shower floor tile? Thanks

Sponsored Links

leon82
05-17-2015, 06:20 AM
The grout joints will provide traction for your foot, unless your looking for a large format tile floor inside the shower.

Carbidetooth
05-17-2015, 08:32 AM
Dal Tile and I imagine others have unglazed porcelain tile that has a pretty grippy surface. That and the grout lines do the trick.

It's one of the reasons I explain to people why I like 2" or smaller tile on floor. That and following the contours of the mud floor which geometrically transitions from rectangle to essentially round. I take care to see that slope is constant...I hate birdbaths.

Linear drains change the landscape though.

AKR
05-17-2015, 11:37 AM
Alright, so just ignore the COF rating as long as it's the small tile. That will save me boatloads of trouble. Thanks

BryanPDC
05-19-2015, 12:54 AM
Someone mentioned trying Daltile...
Daltile has quite a few Residential/Light Commercial Options you can find on their website that meet or exceed .6 and .42 wet/level COF AND DCOF ratings.

Check out "Fabrique" 2x2 Contemporary(Linear Look)- Color Body Porcelain
Or
"Gold Rush" Stone Look- Glazed Ceramic - 2x2 Mosaic Only for Slip Resistance

Good Luck !

cpad007
05-19-2015, 11:14 AM
I have large format in my shower floor (see line below sig) and simply went with a flat finish. I also have a ramp style for my pan. I will admit that it is probably a bit more slippery that I'd like but not bad. As my wife and I age, it could/might be an issue so plan accordingly. We may end up, one day, putting down some kind of a shower mat.