Fireplace Surround Remodel [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Fireplace Surround Remodel

Conbon65
05-15-2015, 02:04 PM
Hi all,
I have searched the forums and couldn't find an exact answer to my questions. I plan on installing a new surround and hearth for my fireplace using either porcelain tile or natural stone. Jury is still out on that! I need to get the area prepped first.
I have removed the mantle, the brown wood pillars and Faux Stone, which to my surprise was set directly on top of brown porcelain tile.

I have now I have reached cement board. The cement board is attached directly over the original red brick. I can’t tell if it was screwed in because I have allot of mastic left on the cement board. My quandary is do I try to remove the cement board and start with fresh cement board or do I try to sand down the old mastic to the cement board so the new tiles will adhere? Or is there another option I have?

I uploaded a photo of before I started tearing it apart and where I'm at now, except that I did rent a demo hammer to remove the tile on the hearth. My chisel and hammer were not cutting it.
The hole in the wall was behind the mantle. It appears it was for the cable. I'll deal with that after I finish the surround and hearth.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Con

Sponsored Links

Ron
05-15-2015, 05:08 PM
Hi Con,

Looks good to me; ready for setting tile (marble or porcelain) with polymer modified thin-set mortar. A good mortar for this is Custom Megalite or similar product.

If the cement board and the old tile is adhered well then you are ready to clad the whole thing in tile.