Kerdi Drain Install Question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Kerdi Drain Install Question

dsneuf
05-04-2015, 07:08 AM
I've reviewed the video's on Schluters website related to installation of the Kerdi drain and have a question. They suggest if there is no access to plumbing after the floor is in, the drain be installed prior to the Kerdi base using the spacers or detaching the center section.

My question is why can't the drain be installed after the Kerdi base is installed completely? Either way, there is no access from below, so the drain has to be installed from the top.

Assuming my plumbing is "roughed in" accurately and the drain will end up in the proper location, is there any reason I should not installed the Kerdi base first, then install the drain?

Thanks for the advice. I'm just trying to see if there is something obvious I'm missing.

Sponsored Links

cx
05-04-2015, 10:18 AM
Welcome back, Scott. :)

If I were to use the prefabricated foam tray, which is very highly unlikely, I would want to instal my drain using only the center section just to keep from having to work over the foam tray and put dings and dents in it.

But if your plumbing is properly located and properly braced, you could install the drain after the tray is installed as your suggest.

My opinion; worth price charged.

dsneuf
05-04-2015, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the clarification, and it's good to be back. I'm a voyeur most of the time, and very much appreciate the advice shared through the site.

Per the recommended process, I plan to install the tray after the walls are completed. I've got everything lined up and braced, so when the time is right, I'll set the tray, let it set up, then set the drain prior to proceeding to the curb and applying the Kerdi to the base etc. This should minimize any dings etc. to the tray.

It's too late for me now, but in hindsight I should have attempted the mud bed. I guess I'll save that for mudroom project...it I ever get to it.

Thanks again!

cx
05-04-2015, 10:32 AM
If you don't wear large knee pads or/and protect that foam with something, you will find compressed areas when you finish setting that drain.

dsneuf
05-04-2015, 10:57 AM
Ahh, lesson learned about the actual base. I get it, and will plan to use a foam pad.

Thanks again for the advice.

jadnashua
05-04-2015, 03:37 PM
It helps to have some sort of kneeling pad when working over anything foam. Depends on how 'old' you knees are, what you can tolerate! On a smaller shower, you may not need to kneel on it at all. Another precaution- the PVC cleaner and adhesive will melt a nice hole or divot in the foam! Be careful with it and drips.

Because the drain for bonded membrane showers is so big in diameter, even small errors in plumb of the riser pipe can keep the drain from sitting flat. One reason it's better to ensure it is before you've got the pan in.