torn kerdi band - can it be repaired? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : torn kerdi band - can it be repaired?

chumslinger
04-27-2015, 06:34 AM
Good morning,

I am working on a shower the schluter system pan and water proofing. while cleaning up some dried thinset at the corner where the curb meets the shower floor I have put a couple of say 3" gashes in the kerdi band.

My question is - can this be repaired without removing tiles and reapplying kerdi band? I was thinking of trying to apply a bunch of kerdi-fix in there hoping it will seal up the cuts but wanted some word of encouragement first :)

All advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

cx
04-27-2015, 07:28 AM
Welcome, Dan. :)

Without photos it's difficult to assess your situation, but in general I'd say those are very serious damaged areas and should be addressed more properly than with just some Kerdi Fix.

But if you're not willing to do a proper repair, the Kerdi Fix would be your best recourse. I'd not be real comfortable with such a repair in the bottom of a shower receptor, though.

You can attach photos from storage on your computer using the paper-clip icon above the Reply dialog box.

My opinion; worth price charged.

cpad007
04-27-2015, 12:46 PM
Technically, you need to apply a piece of Kerdi or Kerdi-band such that you have a 2" overlap of it all around the offending area.

So 3" gash would have a piece of Kerdi or Kerdi-band the size of 4" by 7" to fully encase the gash by 2" all around.

chumslinger
04-27-2015, 01:24 PM
Ah. I was thinking of taking up 2" of tiles on each side of the corner the length of the pan but you're right - if I can isolate where the slices are I can just take up those tiles. Good point. I will do that and make it a proper repair. Thanks for the advice!
Dan

cx
04-27-2015, 01:52 PM
Dan, you can try that, but you cannot get a waterproof seal with Kerdi unless you can bond clean membrane on both sides. Very unlikely you can remove existing tile and end up with clean fleece on the remaining membrane.

You can try it, of course, but I'd be pretty skeptical about trying to bond a patch to what you uncover using thinset mortar. Trying to make repairs or changes after tiling is one of the downsides to the use of direct bonded waterproofing membranes.

My opinion; worth price charged.