concrete shower floor and linear drain [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : concrete shower floor and linear drain

Young Rich
04-16-2015, 02:09 PM
Have a job where the customer wants to do a cement floor in a shower which needs to tie into a linear drain, has anyone done anything like this. one stumbling block is schluters maximuim measurement from bonding flange to grate assembly is one inch, dont think that will be thick enough. The entire bath floor would be cement, starting at the entry door, in 5 feet then sloped to the back wall of the shower where the drain will be.Its got me scratching my head

Sponsored Links

cx
04-16-2015, 03:47 PM
Think we'll need a good bit more information to help much, Rich.

By "cement floor" are you suggesting perhaps some sort of concrete as the finished surface of the shower floor?

You indicate a Schluter drain. That mean the shower will be waterproofed with the Kerdi system?

What is the subfloor construction for the bathroom and shower?

Young Rich
04-16-2015, 04:55 PM
The finished floor would be cement,similar to a cement counter top.,and hopefully waterproofed with kerdi. The subfloor is 3/4 advantec

Carbidetooth
04-16-2015, 06:37 PM
Still not enough info, Rich. Just so we're clear, cement is an ingredient in concrete, but assuming you mean concrete, I'm still having hard time envisioning what you're describing.

Is the entire bathroom floor framing dropped to accommodate a concrete slab? The structure to do that would have to be darn beefy because of weight, plus you'd want some reinforcement in the slab. The engineering alone would be considerable.

And if you don't have a dropped frame what's gonna happen at the doorways when there's 2 or 3" of concrete?

Clue us in.

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
04-16-2015, 08:58 PM
This question has come up before and I think what you are referring to is where the bath and shower floors are a finished cement product. If this is the case I would politely bow out and let the cement finishers explain to the customer how they are going to build and waterproof their shower. :)

Young Rich
04-17-2015, 04:07 AM
entire bath is dropped 3" to allow for the concrete floor, I told the contractor from day one I didn't think this would work, cement guy is due out this weekend have to see what they say