tile shower drywall ceiling [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : tile shower drywall ceiling

corny
10-31-2014, 12:04 AM
I've found some similar questions and answers on this forum but none close enough for clear direction. I have removed old ceramic tile from the ceiling and have rebuilt the rest of the shower except for the ceiling. The ceiling is 1/2 inch drywall but when I pulled off the old tile the drywall facing came with it. What I have now is the roughed up brown paper that is still reasonably flat and intact (no prior moisture). I want to know how best to prepare it for (glass) tile. Should I use mastic or thin set directly to the paper? Redgard first? Removing the drywall is not a good option as it will open to the attic and lots of blown in insulation. I don't really want to add a new layer of material over it and change the present height either.I should add that this ceiling will be completely open on the exhaust fan side and the opening over the pivoting shower door (2 upper sides). I don't expect much moisture to be on the ceiling and it shouldn't get wetter than an occasional splash.

Thanks,

Ron

Sponsored Links

Kman
10-31-2014, 12:40 AM
If it's just brown paper and not exposed gypsum, you can paint it with Zinser primer then tile directly over it. I don't see the need for waterproofing the ceiling of a residential shower.

corny
10-31-2014, 08:58 AM
Will get some Zinser. Any suggestions as to whether mastic or thin set to adhere to it?

Ron

Kman
11-01-2014, 01:10 AM
Thinset. I wouldn't use mastic in a shower at all, even though some of them say you can. :)

Higher Standard Tile
11-01-2014, 01:49 AM
Ron don't use mastic with glass tile even in a dry area. Laticrete Glass Tile Adhesive is a thinset that is as easy to use as mastic but with a stronger bond and it will actually properly cure behind glass tile.

corny
11-01-2014, 10:35 AM
Thanks on the glass tile thinset advise and I hope it sticks well on the ceiling. I should add that this an opaque glass tile and translucency is not an issue.

I also discovered that Zinsser has different products. Seems like Gardz would be the best product for the brown paper but nobody seems to carry it where I live. There is also a choice between oil and water based product too. Any recommendations?