Thinset Advice [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Thinset Advice

SusieG
10-30-2014, 06:00 PM
Hi Old Friends,
I'm starting my latest project (probably the last one for this house). It's been a few years since I tiled anything and my sources no longer carry the stuff I like (Laticrete).

I'm using 12x24 porcelain and wanted a white medium bed mortar, unmodified, since it's over Ditra. I only have Home Depot, Lowe's and the local Dal Tile which only carries Custom.

I found the Custom Medium Bed mortar on HD.com. The picture of the bag says it's modified, but also says it meets ANSI 118.1 and also mentions to use Admix for installations over plywood. This made me very excited, since it seems like it would work over Ditra, as long as I only mix with water. The Custom website, however, doesn't mention that it meets ANSI 118.1.

Advice, please?

Also, please tell me a good thinset to use for the wall tiles. I'd prefer white, since my grout is lighter, and I can't seem to find anything unmodified locally.

Sponsored Links

cpad007
10-30-2014, 06:03 PM
You should be able to get Mapei Kerabond at Lowes (you may need to order it) but they carry quite a few Mapei products. It comes in white and grey.

SusieG
10-30-2014, 06:09 PM
Thanks Chris.

Will look into ordering it. I didn't see it in-stock at Lowe's. Is Kerabond good for the large format floor tiles as well as the wall tiles?

cx
10-30-2014, 06:14 PM
Susie, if your substrate is flat and your tiles are flat you have no need for what usta be called medium bed mortar, now called large and heavy tile mortar. But if you want to use one and it's modified, Schluter recognizes the problem and if you allow the necessary additional drying time they won't get upset. You can verify that by calling 800-472-4588.

Kerabond is a very good un-modified thinset mortar and suitable for floor or wall tiles. There is no such general application distinction in the tile industry.

My opinion; worth price charged.

SusieG
10-30-2014, 06:21 PM
Thanks CX. Interesting news from Schluter.

My floor is good and flat...it's my trowelling skills that concern me. The tiles actually look really flat for a large format tile, so I will probably be fine without the medium bed. Although I do work extremely slow, so I'd probably be fine with the modified, as well. ;-)

Appreciate the well informed answers. I knew I'd get them here!
- Susie

cx
10-30-2014, 08:18 PM
Do call that number and see just how well informed I am, Susie. :)

You do understand that "good and flat" for tiles that size requires no deviation from intended plane of more than 1/8th" in ten feet and no more than 1/16th" in two feet. That's a very, very flat floor and you'll be glad to have it for those tiles.

MAPEI - Product Support
10-31-2014, 10:34 AM
Susie, LOWE's stocks our UNCOUPLING MEMBRANE MORTAR (our unmodified "large and heavy tile" mortar), mixed with water - available in GRAY only. It is very similar to our Kerabond T (another unmodified "large and heavy tile" mortar), available in Gray and White - which LOWE's can order.

SusieG
10-31-2014, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the info Michael. I will print out your note and take it Lowe's. I tend to find only the employees that want to sell me mastic.

CX, you are so good to remind us of the rules. And I am too much of an amateur to ever consider breaking those rules! We completely gutted that bathroom, so it exceeds those standards (<1/16 over 4F). I will have to call Schluter on Monday!

cx
10-31-2014, 08:40 PM
Knowing the rules is frequently helpful, Susie, and following them is generally a good idea. There are some with which I rather strongly disagree, but the flatness one you'll be very glad you've followed and exceeded. Flatter is definitely better.