Tile Table DIY Question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile Table DIY Question

kball89
07-21-2014, 08:13 AM
Hey All--

After almost 18 years of use, the tempered glass on my parent's round patio table finally broke. My mother loves mosaics (and has a lovely tile breakfast table), and I thought this would be a good opportunity to try and give her a new table. I was thinking about using a plywood base, then adding tile, grout, etc. The frame itself is still intact, and basic (higher end, so I am not terribly worried about structural integrity) metal tubing.

I am worried about three things, however:

1. Should I be doing other things for support with the table? I am worried tile and grout will be very heavy and too much for the frame. Any alternative materials that would help avoid this potential issue?
2. Will a project like this be safe to leave outdoors in the winter when temps get below freezing, or will it need to be moved indoors? We have had problems with tile work being left outside in the past, and it was heartbreaking. That being said, my parents are getting a bit old to move heavy things around by themselves.
3. Will keeping a hole for the umbrella cause any problems?

Anyone have any input? I am farm sitting for them in a couple weeks and think it would be a great surprise for them.

I appreciate any and all advice, thanks all!

Sponsored Links

Kman
07-21-2014, 08:19 AM
If it's going to be left outside, you would definitely need to use materials that can withstand heat and cold.

How did the glass top sit on the frame? Did it overhang, or was there a recessed area within the frame that held it in place?

How big is the top going to be? It may weigh quite a bit when it's finished, depending on the materials.

kball89
07-21-2014, 08:25 AM
Thanks Kevin, I will start looking into answers to those questions the next time I am at my parent's house (soon, hopefully).

There was a frame that the glass was more or less inserted into, but it was also supported underneath (I will post pictures and take measurements later today). My understanding is that water got into the frame around the glass, froze, expanded, and caused enough pressure to weaken the glass that it finally gave in this summer.

Even if I can't use the table remnants, I would love to be able to make them a mosaic table for outdoor use (they both have birthdays coming up in September). So, any and all advice is appreciated (re: brands, etc).

Kman
07-21-2014, 08:44 AM
A few pictures would be worth a few thousand words.

kball89
07-21-2014, 03:11 PM
The supports measure 46" across and the ring (not pictured) measures approx. 48" in diameter.

Kman
07-21-2014, 06:53 PM
So the ring doesn't mount to the frame?