Schluter over existing Terracotta stall shower base? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Schluter over existing Terracotta stall shower base?

lowmileage
04-25-2014, 10:04 AM
I have a sound terracotta shower base that isn't too attractive - it's worn out. Without dismantling it, can I use the Schluter system over it - either their preformed base with their drain or mud & their drain? If OK, how would I connect the pvc drain with my existing copper piping? Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links

Richard Tunison
04-25-2014, 10:20 AM
Is this the TERRAZZ0 shower pan we discussed a little while back?

Do you have access to the plumbing from below?

Are you wanting to fill up the base to be level with the perimeter and then tile?

lowmileage
05-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Hi Richard - I'm back into this project:crap:.

I do have access to the drain. Yesterday I took apart the "box" in the garage below the shower drain - copper pipe & what appears to be a brass trap. The floor has "slots" which means the shower pan was preformed and not laid in. Measuring from above to the bottom of the trap is only about
1/2" more than from the bottom of the pan to the bottom of the trap. Guess that means the pan is only 1/2" thick or much less than I thought. Maybe the idea of breaking up the pan or even taking it out in one piece is very possible - I thought it would be so thick I'd be needing a jack hammer or something. How do you go about attaching PVC to this style drain pipe? thanks, Fred

Richard Tunison
05-14-2014, 08:52 AM
Hi Fred.

Use a Fernco coupler.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/fernco+couplings?NCNI-5

lowmileage
05-14-2014, 09:21 AM
Ok, I know about them. Do you mean then, leave the trap and cut the vertical copper pipe - I can then leave the rest intact?

Richard Tunison
05-14-2014, 09:38 AM
Yes.

lowmileage
05-14-2014, 09:40 AM
10-4. Thanks Richard