Can I mix 1 bag Versabond w 2 bags sandMix ??? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Can I mix 1 bag Versabond w 2 bags sandMix ???

Binthere222
04-18-2014, 09:32 AM
I am laying a typical mortar shower floor over doubled 3/4" ply. 2 inch porcelain tile will be applied.

Regular sand mix will do the job, BUT someone recommended to me to add some VersaBond to the sand mix in order to improve adhesion and reduce the risk of cracking.

I have done a small test mix to compare and it seems to work in a small quantity (1 ft square by 1 1/2 thick).

I am concerned that there will be an unexpected result.

Is it a mistake to mix these two products ?
Will the combined product be better or worse than the sandmix alone ?
Anyone have any experience with this ?

Thanks for any comments.
Charlie

Sponsored Links

Richard Tunison
04-18-2014, 09:40 AM
Hi Charles and welcome. :)

I would not mix in thinset as it makes the mud hard to shape because it's sticky. Good old sand and cement is what you want. You will want to cover the ply with poly and then install diamond mesh lath over that. That is what the mud sticks to not to bare ply.

What type of waterproofing system are you using for the shower?

A few schematics for your perusal.

Steve Taylor
04-18-2014, 11:24 AM
Do not mix a prepared thin-set into your sand cement blend. The prepared thin-set is designed to work as a thin-set, not an additive. If you want the benefits of polymer in your sand cement blend, I suggest replacing part of your mix water with latex Mortar Additive.