Help I don't know if my guy knows what he's doing [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Help I don't know if my guy knows what he's doing

Elmer fudd
04-13-2014, 08:15 PM
Hi I just wanted to ask for some thoughts on what my installer is doing, and if it sounds right. First it's a new shower with benches size is 72 inches wide by 48 inches deep. The benches were made with 2 x 4's and extend two walls, the next thing he did was install cement board over the benches and on the floor and the walls, then installed the drain and poured cement there was some Kerdi fabric put down at the drain with silicone. The next thing was installing the heated floor in the bathroom and into the shower and on the seats and back of the bench. This was done with modified thin set, then he installed some more kerdi membrane and coated it with aqua Defense. There are also two inlays for shampoo and the like they are covered in cement board and are to be sealed with the aqua defense. I expect there are other details however the floor of the shower is not smooth, and neither are the benches. No tiles have been put down yet and I am worried that the shower might leak - I not sure what to do. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have. One thing is there was no shower pan, and no plastic laid down - does this sound correct to anyone.

Sponsored Links

Tool Guy - Kg
04-13-2014, 08:47 PM
Welcome Elmer!

With what will amount to be an expensive 4'x6' shower with bench and niches, it's very important that the installer follow an industry proven method. I'm not saying that what's been done is guaranteed to fail (I'd want to know a lot more details of exactly what was done with which methods). But one thing is for sure: the "multiple system approach" that's being taken here generally means there's no warranty from any manufacturer.

I personally would need my installer to show me which method in the TCNA Handbook...or which manufacturer-specific method he was following. If they were to say, "Well, I've been doing this for XX number of years and never had a problem"....well, that wouldn't mean a whole lot to me. This installer may be out of business in a week or a year and not be available to correct a possible problem in the future. I'd want industry recognized methods used the that have a proven track record. And if manufacturer-specific methods where used, I'd want the backing of that company. And that backing...that guarantee...only comes if their specific installation instructions are followed closely.

The first thing I'd do is ask him to point to which industry standard or manufacturer method he's employing. And if there are any deviations from said method in your currently installed product, have that corrected before proceeding.

P.S. It's rabbit season! Hahahah-aa-aa-aa-aa!

:)

Lump
04-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Sounds like a Frankenguze (SP?) shower system.

Houston Remodeler
04-13-2014, 08:57 PM
From what I read I cannot tell if it will work or not. Pictures would really help.

I have been known to mix several manufacturers products on one install. But then I warranty my work, carry insurance, and have lived at the same location for 15 years.

mjblowers
04-15-2014, 02:04 PM
woops

Richard Tunison
04-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Michael, surface applied membranes such as Kerdi do not utilize a pan liner.

JTile
04-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Michael, no liner would be used if the installer is utilizing a surface applied membrane to the pan.