Beach bungalow Bathtub alcove issues [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Beach bungalow Bathtub alcove issues

sdmarkus
04-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Howdy folks! Trust me when I say this will be the first of many questions:crap:

Got one of my tubs in today, and while the extra 2" of alcove length certainly helped slide this beast in, I'm not sure how to treat it moving forward.

Any creative solution on dealing with the ~2" gap at the rear of the tub?
Many thanks,

Mark

Sponsored Links

evan1968
04-12-2014, 12:56 PM
A 2"x4" sideways.

Billy12
04-12-2014, 08:44 PM
I ran into that at my old house and ended up just building out the wall on that side of the tub. The previous owner made a little tiled shelf there but it just ended up being a place where water collected and ran onto the floor.

Davy
04-12-2014, 08:53 PM
If you look close, you'll see a little ledge at the back of this tub. Be sure and waterproof it well.

sdmarkus
04-13-2014, 10:38 AM
Thanks folks! Great visual Davy, perfect! I was wondering at what elevation to set the framing for the shelf, so that image helps a lot.

sdmarkus
05-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Slow but steady progress and another question for you gurus...:fish2:

Decent gap between the green board and the tub flange, about 3/4". Would kerdi-fix be a reasonable solution here? Before, during, or after the actual membrane installation?

Trying to keep the ledge in the rear to a minimum. The only challenge thus far is the curved corner of the tub versus the right angle of the framing/future tile...:confused:

Houston Remodeler
05-19-2014, 09:03 PM
Mark,

No need for kerdi band. Just do this;

1- cut a piece of kerdi to either wrap once around horizontally or one wall at a time.
2- mask off the tub flange with blue painters tape. This helps keep the thinset from the tub flange which you will need clean and dry later.
3- Draw a level pencil line at the top of where the sheet of kerdi will fall on the wall when the bottom of the same piece hits the top of the tub deck.overlapping the flange.
4- Thinset the kerdi to the wall as usual
5- peel off the blue tape
6- apply a bead of kerdi fix to the flange
7- smear it flat with a putty knife or something disposable (we use tile scraps)
8- press the kerdi into the kerdi fix
9- you're ready for tile

sdmarkus
05-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Thanks Paul, appreciate the step by step!

sdmarkus
05-30-2014, 08:25 PM
Got my kerdi up today, thanks to you fine folks. Could not have done it without this site and all you contributors...and of course the JB e-book:)

My wife picked out some 12x24 porcelain tile and I plan on using Paul's lovely tutorial to guide me:
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85869)

Just want to make sure there are no issues with a large format wall tile in such a relatively small space(`60" x 29"). We'll transition the surround to a wainscot on the business side of the bathroom.

Looks like I use the same unmodified thinset for the tile as well, correct? Do I need to back butter these bad boys?

Any suggestions, layout or otherwise.
Many thanks,

Mark:cheers:

pfmez
05-31-2014, 10:07 AM
Looks good Mark!

Yes, same unmodified thinset. I just finished my first tub surround with 6 x 24 tile, I would say definitely back butter. One thing I learned is patience! Ha. Take your time, good layout is crucial, measure, lay out, measure again, plan, levels will help too. There were some days I would only set maybe 4 tiles then come back the next day, but I don't have much time. I do wish I would have used a tile leveling system, I used the home depot system on my floor, and wish I had used it on the walls too.

sdmarkus
05-31-2014, 10:36 PM
Thanks Fred...

Got a good handle on the lay-out today and was prepared to set some tile but ran out of time. I'll feeling much better about the finished product having mocked it up and transferred the measurements...it's om tomorrow!:oyeah:

Peerless Tile
06-01-2014, 06:10 AM
Looks like your ready to go. Everything is well planned and set in motion, enjoy the process. It'll look great and you will enjoy it for years to come.

Jay Diesel
06-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Ill be looking forward to see how you end the tile on the walls. I need to do the same thing with the same size tiles and havent found many pictures that show what to do.

sdmarkus
06-05-2014, 08:26 AM
Slow but steady progress, changed the layout to a 50% offset which may have added a level of difficulty but less waste/cuts...the leveling clips have helped big time.

Have some trouble cutting the large format tile lengthwise for the bottom row on my saw, any tips?

The adventure continues...

sdmarkus
06-20-2014, 08:01 AM
Finally got the last few bits of tile in this week and grouted yesterday:aparty2:

Very pleased with the finished product, thanks for the help folks! On to the next...stay tuned

sdmarkus
07-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Got my flooring in as well and just about ready to tackle the master bath. Very pleased with the wood-look plank tile, although I did have a near disaster while grouting which cost me some extra time scrubbing and cleaning...

Do you pro's typically mix a full bag(25#) at once or work with smaller amounts at a time to avoid either the material drying in the bucket or on the floor?:bang: