tile spacing [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : tile spacing

c9498
03-16-2004, 04:47 PM
I am using 12" tiles on my bath floor, is there a minimum width for the grout joint? I would like to keep them on the small side, 1/16 or 1/8 but I have seen larger sizes recommended.
Thanks,
Cliff

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
03-16-2004, 04:57 PM
Stay on the high side of 1/8" or 3/16". You'll thank me later. :D

Jason_Butler
03-16-2004, 07:41 PM
I would go for 3/16" to be safe.

After five years of tiling, I finally found a tile (18") that would handle 1/8" but I chickened out and used the 3/16" spacing for fear that the 1/8" would bite me sooner or later

Jason

Derek & Jacqui
03-16-2004, 08:06 PM
1/8th or 3/16ths, 316ths is the safer bet.

c9498
03-17-2004, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the responses.

What is the downside of a smaller grout joint?
Is it more likely to pop out or something?
I thought the unsanded grout was intended for use in small grout joints.

Is there a better product than regular portland cement grout to use in the shower stall, something that is less likely to wick moisture?

The tiles in the shower that I removed were applied with mastic over sheet rock, none were loose.
I opted for Dens-Shield as a backer and was going to install the new ones with mastic, after reading some the posts on this site it seems that the general preferance is to use latex modified thinset to put up the shower tiles.
The mastic container says it is ok to use in showers and the Dens-Shield litrature say it is ok to use mastic or thinset.
Is thinset actually better or is it just a matter of opinion?
Thanks

sdaniels7114
03-17-2004, 04:10 PM
Ceramic tiles aren't all exactly the same size. You can 'hide' this with a big enough grout joint. You won't find anyone who thinks it's ok to use mastic in wet areas.

Steven Hauser
03-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Hi Cliff,

What may be mistaken is industry guidelines versus a best worse approach.

All the manufacturers have an economic stake in selling their products and not irritating any other manufacturer. Why?

Because tile installation is basically like building a sandwich. No part is independent of another.

The people who answer questions here are primarily men and women who put the tiles on the various substrates.

So, believe what you read here and support the website by buying the products through the online store.

my .02