Hardibacker and Red Guard [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Hardibacker and Red Guard

Maroon141
03-14-2004, 03:53 PM
I am getting ready to prep an area where a 2 person whirlpool tub is going to installed in our new house. I went to HD and got some sheets of 1/4 Hardibacker. (I want to get the hardibacker installed and the deck tiled before the tub get put in so the rim looks nicer)

I grabbed the sheets and a gallon of Red Guard. The clerk at HD said that I didn't need to use it with Hardibacker....

Seemed odd to me based on everything I have researched here and in John's latest book.

So should I coat the top of the deck and a little up each wall with Red Guard? I am assuming that some water will get onto the deck area, but not like a shower....

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
03-14-2004, 04:47 PM
Hi Jeff,

You are correct in that the Hardi-backer is not waterproof, but I don't think you need a waterproof tub deck. The little bit of water you get on there will be wiped up each time. I think your normal grout sealer (Stone Armor :) will be enough there. As you said, it's not a shower.

If you decide to use the Red Guard, though, it certainly won't hurt anything. How much frolicking do you plan on doing in the tub? :D

Rd Tile
03-14-2004, 05:57 PM
You do have a plywood base under that 1/4" Hardie, yes?:)

If vertical walls around that tub, use 1/2" Hardie over the framing.:)

Scooter
03-14-2004, 06:04 PM
I happen to like trowel on waterproofers. No they are not necessary, but they will waterproof the surface and provide some extra protection. Worth the money in my world.

I like to use the ones with a latex mat, like Laticrete 9235 and ThoroughSeal, which in my judgment are superior to those sold by Custom.

Maroon141
03-15-2004, 09:04 AM
This is the 2nd time around for us...so water sports at age 40 isn't out of the question! :shades:

Thanks for the quick response...and yes, 2x4 frame with plywood on the decking and sides....and now that you mention it...the clerk at HD threw me off....I was planning on doing the red guard on the deck and up the walls a little and leave the walls as the regular drywall....now I'm needin' a trip back to get some 1/2" stuff....

Thanks...you folks are awesome!!!