How to attach pencil tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : How to attach pencil tile

kevreh
11-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Applying marble (=delicate) around a niche in this bath project has been a PIA. So far I've only cut it, some of the edges on the outside 45 angles are very soft and break easy.

I'm getting ready to attach them with thinset but not sure. If I use enough thinset so they hold it oozes everywhere, making cleanup of the joints a bear. And since the trim is 3/4" it doesn't seem like the thinset will hold well.

Is there a better method?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

jwmezzanotte
11-06-2013, 08:58 PM
I've used kerdi fix before. Worked well for me. I was concerned about the thinset getting a good hold on the trims. Not sure if I needed to be..

PetrH
11-06-2013, 09:58 PM
i use thinset on just the inside corner and just enough to hold it in place. Use masking tape and wedges to keep the trim aligned until the thinset sets. That way it does not squeeze out. The grout will do the rest of the bonding.

Also for the miters, try cutting the pieces 1/8" too big and then using a belt sander for the final dimensioning. http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=153679&stc=1&d=1383796706

kevreh
11-07-2013, 05:45 AM
I like the kerdi fix idea, should be a pretty strong bond while wet.

PetrH, when you say inside, do you mean where the pencil meets the inside-niche tile? Do you just use a toothpick or something to clean the thinset that oozes out?

thanks

snrusnak
11-07-2013, 06:41 AM
I used thinset on mine, it held fine(although mine was all stacked straight up). Mine overhang the corner of the wall(outside corner), so only about 75% of the width of the pencil was actually bonded to the wall, and it's very strong. I tried to break one off to make sure it was bonded well and I couldn't(well, maybe if I tried a hammer I could.... :) ). I just tried with my hand with a lot of pressure trying to snap one off and it didn't move.

kevreh
11-07-2013, 03:15 PM
I tried kerdi fix and it worked real well. Good stickiness, fast dry time, very strong. Within an hour or two the trim had a very strong hold. Too bad its @ $20 a tube. :uhh:

jwmezzanotte
11-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Could be worse, i pay $35 ;)

kevreh
11-08-2013, 07:18 AM
Ha! Yeah sorry to rub it in. But your in canuk land, where everything seems to be more. I watch those shows like Love it Or List It and they show small townhomes going for $600k+ :eek:

jwmezzanotte
11-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Yah, luckily we dont have to deal with that kind of crap here. (yet) :)

Can buy a decent 2000sqft house (though dated) for around $200,000.00. Prices are going up though.