Heated slate tile over 2x6 T&G? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Heated slate tile over 2x6 T&G?

Ck83
10-24-2013, 12:43 AM
I inherited about 150' of 12" slate tile from my dad when he lost his house. I'd like to use it on my house, and I think he'd like to see me put it to good use in my first house too. What I want to do is re-tile my foyer (about 80 sqft), and attack the prominent chill coming from my leaded glass front door and 20' ceiling as this is also the area with the staircase. But for the life of me I can't find any good advice on how to deal with the uncommon material used in the construction of my house. It's custom built, and very sturdy. In the crawl space I have 3 solid concrete slabs running lengthwise about 18" wide, upon which are 4x4's and 4x8's (center) holding up 4x8" beams spaced every 4'. And ontop of that is 2x6" tongue and grove. Now I have already torn up the ceramic tile, the 40yr old vinyl, and the 5/8" OSB, and my question is can I just thinset the hardie board to t&g and screw it down? I know what to do after that, I think, but it seems that this house is very solid, and puting down some more osb seems unescessary. And I'd like it to keep my transitions a little more uniform between rooms. That being said, I'm no dummy, and I'm not going to risk screwing up this floor to cut any corners. Any advice?

Sponsored Links

tilejoe
10-24-2013, 04:51 AM
You're going to need to install plywood over the t n g first. And being as you are wanting natural stone, a second layer of ply is recommended as well. After the 2 layers, cbu, or Ditra or whatever can go down before the tile.

At the end of the day, this is your home and you can do as you like. These are the recommendations though.

cx
10-24-2013, 07:59 AM
Welcome, Colin. :)

If you'll add a geographic location to your User Profile folks can see in what area of the Left Coast you live, which can be helpful in answering some types of question.

Your structure is quite common in your area and we've had our resident engineer do the calculations on your subfloor with tile in mind. What Joe has recommended is fine for a ceramic tile, presuming your supports are spaced correctly, but your subflooring does not qualify for a natural stone installation. You'll need to add joists midway between the existing to bring the floor up to the requirements for stone tiles.

Or, as Joe further points out, you can tile over what you have after you add the minimum half-inch exterior glue plywood over your board subfloor and a tiling substrate of your choice.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Ck83
10-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Hmm ok well like I said, I will not compromise this build. I only do quality work. But why is it so important that I use two layers of ply? I don't really understand how 1/2" ply is going to help shore up a floor made of 2x6 t&g... please forgive my ignorance, but like I said before. Ive spent several days looking for an informational flooring source, but being here and asking stupid questions is by far the best I have found.

Oh and by the way, the vertical supports are spaced every 6' down the joists if that makes any difference. I won't be adding any extra floor joists. For a house that doesn't shake, rattle, or event slope slightly at all anywhere, the juice is not worth the squeeze on that one. I can only imagine cutting a hole in the foundation to feed in more joists, and the nightmare involved with tearing around all the duct work, wiring, and plumbing. No thankyou! Like I said this floor is the most solid floor I've ever walked on. If not for the slight hollow sound beneath your footsteps you could mistaken it for a slab house.