shower drain concrete slab [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : shower drain concrete slab

Jason Balentine
10-14-2013, 07:35 PM
have done a few showers over crawl space first one on slab. drain has a 2x2 cutout from last shower unit. wondering if I take 6" pvc make form around drain pour quick crete in void I should have enough room for kerdi drain to fitted am I right thanks

Sponsored Links

Houston Remodeler
10-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Jason,

If I understand you correctly, an ordinary piece of 4" schedule 40 PVC pipe will be the perfect size. You can always go larger.

Jason Balentine
10-16-2013, 05:07 AM
thanks man should nt be a problem thanks

Lakee911
10-16-2013, 09:21 AM
Just to clarify, Paul... can go larger but if you go too large the drain will not be properly supported. I think manufacturer warns of this.

I'd want to go with 4" myself...

dhagin
10-16-2013, 09:43 AM
can go larger but if you go too large the drain will not be properly supported.

Correct. The cutout template for ply is about 4", so that's pretty close to ideal. You don't need schedule 40 pipe though, just any old 4" will do. A thinner wall pipe will be easier to cut out if you're not quite centered. ;)

cx
10-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Welcome, jbalco. Please change that permanent signature line to a first name for us to use. :)

I hate to disagree with everybody, but if you use a piece of Schedule 40 PVC as a form for your opening for a Schluter drain, you'll need to remove the pipe before your concrete patch sets up. The drain will not fit inside the pipe.

If you want something that you can leave in place, a Schedule 40 PVC (or ABS) coupling will work just fine.

In either case you must be very careful to center the larger pipe around your riser pipe.

My opinion; worth price charged.