transition from tile to linoleum [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : transition from tile to linoleum

textucker
03-07-2004, 05:33 PM
I am trying to find out what I am supposed to use as a threshold from tile to linoleum/vinyl. I have tried searching but couldn't figure out how to word it for the search engine. I was told by Home Depot to use marble thresh-hold but there is a lot of height difference. I would hate my poor mother to stub her toe walking out of the bathroom.

thank you,
Darla

Sponsored Links

Rd Tile
03-07-2004, 05:39 PM
http://www.schluter.com/english/products/2002/sectiona/overview-a/section-a.html

John Bridge
03-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Darla. RD Tile is a man of few words. ;)

That link is what you need, though. Home Depot has them, too.

Rd Tile
03-07-2004, 06:15 PM
I like to get right to the point, but Darla, John's correct, HD is their largest distibuter, if they don't have what you might need stocked, you can get it at the special orders desk, even though they'll look at you like you have two heads when you ask for it, tell them to get out the Schluter catalog, it's there somewhere.:)

textucker
03-07-2004, 06:22 PM
THanks guys.
All I see is brass, isn't there something decorative? or pretty anyway.
Thanks,
Darla

Mike2
03-07-2004, 06:43 PM
Satin anodized aluminum and bright chrome anodized aluminum are some other Schluter choices.

If these still do not work for you, try plugging in "edge-protection profiles" or "transition profiles" into your search engine. Might want to add the word "floors" as well.

Happy searching...........;)

John Bridge
03-07-2004, 07:54 PM
There are different colors. The Home Depot SKU for the Schluter special order catalog is: 344-388. Many tile stores carry Schluter trims, too. :)

And let me say this. You are going against vinyl linoleum, a somewhat ignoble floor covering, wouldn't you say? There aren't too many ways to do that with ceramic tile. :D

textucker
03-09-2004, 11:15 AM
Well mom wants a marble threshold:)
So from reading past posts I am to use white mortar and leave some room on the sides and use caulk? Do I but-up the marble to the tile or leave a gap and caulk that too? I was told by home depot to but-up the marble to the tile.

thanks everyone,

Steven Hauser
03-09-2004, 11:45 AM
Hi Darla,

Yes,

To set the threshold you would want something like thinset.

If all the flooring is not already touching each other do it this way.

You can leave small space at the tile side that you can grout or color caulk. The threshold then would abut the sheet vinyl.

If the vinyl touches the ceramic before you pu the threshold in, do it this way.

You would need to besure that the vinyl is stuck really well to the floor. Use a latex modified thinset and set the threshold on top of the vinyl. For any gap on the vinyl side use a caulk to close it.

Best regards,

textucker
03-09-2004, 12:21 PM
the vinyl is not stuck to the floor. What should I use to glue down the vinyl?
I cut the vinyl so that there is a gap between the mable and vinyl. I though that I could stick the marble to the concrete and about an inch of vinyl because the vinyl is not glued.
Did I do this wrong?

Thanks
Darla