Bonding tile to steel, expansion inground... [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Bonding tile to steel, expansion inground...

Mbbbb
06-10-2012, 10:50 AM
I have access to a ton of 1/4 inch steel plate and my wife wants a custom inground swimming pool. I am a certified welder. I am thinking of welding my own pool and putting a coating on the steel to prevent corrosion in ground. I would like to finish the inside of the pool with tile (keeping all straight edges, etc.), but I'm wondering if there is any way to bond the tile to a coated steel surface on walls. Furthermore, I'm wondering if the tile / grout will be able to withstand the expansion of the metal through cold winters and hot summers. Any ideas on how to finish the inside? Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links

ceramictec
06-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Any ideas on how to finish the inside?gunite.

I dont think the way you have it planned is going to be feasible.

Mbbbb
06-10-2012, 11:28 AM
I havent started anything just an idea in my head. But it would seem to me there should be some form of tile, some way to finish a flat steel plate, in the ground, the would be cosmetically pleasing, and would expand and contract with the steel. I dont have any rebar, just plate, so gunite is kind of out of the question isnt it?

Richard Tunison
06-10-2012, 11:53 AM
I'd call the good folks at Laticrete and see if they have any ideas. Latricete hydro ban claims in the spec. sheet that it bonds to metal.

Carbidetooth
06-11-2012, 08:20 AM
Now there's an interesting idea.

Ships are made of steel, so you could use bottom paint but you'd likely have to repaint every year and, well, it would look like...painted steel!

Methinks find someone who will pay you to fabricate with the steel and apply proceeds to pool.

I do, however, admire folks who think outside the box so if you decide to proceed, I'll be your cheerleader!

evan1968
06-11-2012, 11:09 AM
If any post needs progress pic's,this one is it!