Shower remodel question(s) [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower remodel question(s)

madduxx31
05-18-2012, 06:11 AM
Two (maybe more to follow) quick questions....

1. Do I need type S mortar for my shower curb or is non-structural mortar OK? I don't seem to remember this being called out, but i may have just missed it reviewing last night...

2. I've been reading for some time here before starting my shower remodel and I dont seem to remember reading if I should be doing the curb mesh/mortar before the top layer or after....makes sense to me to do the curb before as the top layer would butt up against this effectively locking it in as it does the CBU overlapping the pan liner.

I have the preslope finished and will be setting liner and curb mesh this morning....just trying to get my work planned out as I dont want to do things out of order at this point.

I will post pics of progress after todays adventure!

Sponsored Links

dhagin
05-18-2012, 07:03 AM
Check this, from the "Liberry". There's lots of other info in there too. :)

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5434

madduxx31
05-21-2012, 09:47 AM
OK, I read all of that over & over & never really found it to be informative in relation to which is done first (curb or top layer of deck mud). I did the pan curb mortar first with type S mortar. It turned out to my liking, and after that the deck mud went in without a hitch as well.

So my next question is this: Do I need to embed my tape at the bottom joint where the CBU meets the top layer deckmud? I'm guessing this can be done or left out as the pan liner will wick anything away that penetrates this joint.

Posting pics tonight of what I've done thus far....

TIA for any replies!