Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-07-2004, 12:36 AM   #1
Stew

Granite backsplash; edging recomendation

I thought I was in over my head with my most recent job until stumbling onto this forum. The knowledge and willingness to help others has reaffirmed my faith in mankind, although the Colorado drivers do their best to ruin my newfound optimism. Maybe someone can start a "driving forum" - one suited to warm weather drivers now residing in the Rocky Mountain region.

I will be embarking on a granite tile countertop job soon and am unsure how to handle the top edge of the backsplash. The backsplash will consist of 6 inch granite tiles. Before installing the granite tile backsplash, CBU will be used to build out the wall since tile is also being used on the front edge of the counter (owners don't want to use bullnose on the front edge, don't want a "sliver" tile in back, etc - so I will build out the backsplash to compensate for the needed space).

The Schluter line of products are new to me - do they have any products designed for this predicament? It was difficult to tell when visiting their website, and I'd much rather heed the advice of a professional than someone trying to sell a product.

Do any of you have any other products/recommendations on how to give this backsplash edge an attractive appearance - other than having the edge bullnosed?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:36 AM   #2
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

Hi Tom,
Maybe you could show the owners the picture below as an example of the sliver in back. It's really inconspicuous back in the shadows if you use a matching color grout. It's pretty much an industry standard for granite tile. I would think it would also be less conspicuous than than an akward transition where you have to hide the edges of granite & built-out CBU.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2004, 10:52 AM   #3
Stew

Tom,

That's beautiful work.

Assuming a "sliver" in back is used, do you just leave the unfinished granite backsplash edge alone? The tiled backsplash will only extend a few inches up the wall, so there will still be an abrupt ending.

I've also run across someone before who had the same problem. They had a beautiful granite countertop with granite used for a backsplash (just a few inches worth), then it just abruptly ended - and they too wanted a way to give the edge a more polished look.

I don't think any type of wood trim used along the edge would do the counters much justice either.

Thanks again for the input.

Tom Stewart
Old 03-07-2004, 11:22 AM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Stew, nice work Tom. If you are going to use CBU behind the splash you can cut a cap piece to cover the top edge of the granite and the CBU. This edge would need to be bullnosed or polished flat. Without the CBU behind it, the backsplash piece would need to be bullnosed or polished flat.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 07:05 PM   #5
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

Here is what a 4" granite splash would look like. Flat polished edge, no bullnose. I think 6" high is more common.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2004, 07:11 PM   #6
Mike2

Thumbs up

Remarkable work Tom H.

You set a very high bar.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 08:18 PM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Nice, Tom.

Stew,

The Schluter trim most often used in situations like that is "Rondec." It comes in many heights or widths and in different colors. Granite tiles are usually around 3/8 to 7/16 inches thick, so a 7/16 Rondec would probably do it.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com