Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
christine7

quality tile at Home Depot?

I am going to have a professional put in a porcelain tile floor in my kitchen.

I checked out the tile selection at Home Depot and found several I like.
Think I will go with Daltile Folkstone Atlantic Beach $1.77/sq ft.

Question: Are Home depot tiles considered good quality?? I could check out a tile store if I am likely to find better tiles there. I would imagine HD prices would be better, but that is not my only consideration.

Thanks as always for the great help!!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

You will find both good and not so good tiles at HD. I recommend checking out a tile store or 3 just to discover the range of what is out there. I happened to fall in love with a Home Depot Marazzi tile for my project. I was willing to live with some imperfections because of the great variety available in the line. The tile turned out to be fairly easy to work with and nice to cut and drill. I know you may not care about those features, but your installer will.

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Maniac979

Your pro can purchase the tile directly from Daltile for much less than the Home Depot price.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Todd Stull
Harrisburg, PA Bathroom Remodeling

I wonder if that line is available at Daltile. A few years ago, I had a request for one of the lines of Dal and I called to find out it was exclusive through Home Depot.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
christine7

I checked the Daltile site and a search of Folkstone did not bring up anything, so I guess it is exclusive to HD. I will check a couple of local tile stores tomorrow, but I really don't want to pay much more. I would be willing to go up a buck per square foot. I live in Bethesda, Md, alot of rich people and I have a feeling that the tile stores will be very pricey.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
Pirate

You might try Lowes too, as I've always preferred their tiles over HD.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
paulwarren

@christine

HD and Lowe's may have the same tile but under a different name and product code. That is common for carpet and hardwood flooring so I assume its also done for tile. It makes comparison shopping more difficult.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
tulse

It's an interesting question overall. How do you tell good tile from bad if both are sold at a big box?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac979
Your pro can purchase the tile directly from Daltile for much less than the Home Depot price.
Even if the tile is available, this statement doesn't necessarily hold true. HD wields an enormous amount of pressure for wholesalers to give them the best prices.

The quality of tile in terms of its glaze and durability at box stores is typically the same as "tile shops". But there is one prevalent problem with box store tile that comes up enough to talk about and causes much grief for the installer. That problem is tiles that vary in size, coupled with a desire to use narrow grout joints. The two don't mix. I would go out of your way to measure or compare a bunch of tiles before committing to a tile. Lay a couple rows of ten tiles out on the floor and measure each stack. Or hold a stack perfectly level and sight down the tops of them to check for variances. Industry standards call for a grout width spacing at least 3x the difference from the smallest to largest tile. If that equates to a larger grout width than you prefer, then look for another tile with tighter size tolerances.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Christine, the very best you can do at Homer's or Lowe's or any other place selling ceramic tile is to look at the packaging to see if the product is advertised as meeting the testing standards of ANSI A137.1.

If it does, you will have a very good idea just what you're buying.

If it does not, all you can be sure of is that what's in the box is what you bought and you're on your own in determining just what that might be.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
christine7

I will stop by Lowes tomorrow. Much further away than HD, but I would like to at least check out one other source.

I will check for the ANSI certification and I will lay out some tiles on the floor to see how uniform they are.

I am surprised that I like the Folkstone so much. It is a fairly dark brown tile. Isn't more uncommon to go dark with tile in the kitchen? I am hoping I don't regret the dark in the near future...

Thanks so much!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

It has been a few years ago but I got a call from a lady wanting me to tile her kitchen floor with a 12x12 Dal tile. She said that she had seen the tile at HD and she told me the name and cost of the tile. I still remember it was 1.99 a sq ft. I told her I could probably go straight to Dal tile and get it cheaper, cut out the middle man. My cost at Dal tile was 3.53 a sq ft. I ask the guy at Dal tile about getting it cheaper at HD and he said that HD buys a train load at a time and Dal tile gives them such a cheap price, they can sell it cheaper.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #13
Houston Remodeler

Good quality tile has good heft for its size.

Cheaper tiles:

1- feel like you can break them with your bare hands.
2- have a very thin color layer and even thinner glazing
3- have lower quality controls which lead to more mis-shapen tiles, uneven sized tiles, and warped tiles beyond "normal"
4- very well may have all the exact same pattern to every tile when they are supposed to be random
5- generally are thinner for their size

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
christine7

Seems to be some mixed feelings here about the tile quality at Lowes and HD. I don't know. I don't want to pay to install poor quality tile and I'm still not sure that I will be able to tell the diff. I purchased 6 different styles and makes of tile to decide on color and when I lay them all together - they look exactly the same size, shape and height to me.

I don't know what a "thin" tile would look like. I hit the edge of one of these with a hammer and it did break. Not sure what that proved other than I can't return it anymore.

Maybe I should just shell out more money at a tile store to get some peace of mind.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #15
ob1kanobee

As a general rule, I prefer not to purchase large format tile made in either China or Mexico. Other than that, you are pretty safe to buy it anywhere these days IMO so long as you check things like Paul mentioned.

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com