Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 02-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
brownieruf@aol.com
Brownie

Matching old grout color

I had a bathroom floor tile job done by a pro about a year ago. The floor looked great intially, but within a few months, a good deal of the grout cracked. I removed and replaced the cracked grout joints. But now the grout color is off. I used the same bag of mushroom grout (no jokes allowed) that the tile guy used, but the grout I put down is lighter. I sealed the grout joints just like I had done originally. Any advice about how to match the grout color?
Thanks
brownieruf@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

I'll leave this to the more knowledgable folk around here but when 2 people mix the grout, there are variables between how much water is used, how it's mixed etc..

My guess is that's what happened but again, emphasis on the word "guess".

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Brownieruf

Help us out by putting a first name in your signature!

I just had the same situation happen to me on a repair. As Daniel mentioned too many variables, even if the same person mixed it for just a repair vs. the whole floor. Temperature, humidity, amount of water used to mix, dry time, amount of wash water, etc.

My best suggestion is to strip the sealer used, and color seal the floor grout.

I'll warn you that your grout may crack again. Are you sure you don't have any loose tiles? That's the main reason for grout cracking in the first place.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
brownieruf@aol.com
Brownie

Matching old grout color

Thanks doitright-
I do have 3 hailine cracked tile, but the grout is fine around these. I haven't yet replaced these tiles. I don't believe that there are any loose tiles wher the grout cracked. Any suggestion as to what I should use to strip the sealer and to color seal the floor grout.
I'll change my profile to include a name.
brownieruf@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Executive Flooring
Installer of Tile, Hardwood, Laminate, Carpet, VCT

If you have cracking grout and tiles you have bigger issues one your hands for sure. Some sort of issue with your substrate or bonding of the tiles. You can fix the grout but more then likely you will have problems again in the future. Depending on the manufacturer of the grout you may be able to get a colorant that "matches" your grout. Plan on doing the whole floor with it. I personally havent ever used them but have heard good things about these guys http://modernstonecare.com/color-charts/
Old 02-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi brownieruf

I'm of the same opinion of Ray. Have you tried tapping on the tiles to check for hollow sounds. Grout doesn't just crack.

What kind of sealer did you use (specifically)?
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com