Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Old 01-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #31
Jhereg
Signature Tile - Owner

I did everything listed in that link (post 6) and the filtered review is still filtered.
Jhereg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #32
tilejoe

What if you posted great feedback and rated it 1 star? Like you got confused? Might be worth a try

Infinite Ceramic & Stone
www.infiniteceramic.com
NTCA Pennsylvania State Rep
CTEF Certified Installer #769
tilejoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #33
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Quote:
posted by Brad:
All these places, Yelp, BBB, Angies List, Service Magic, etc. can go to hell as far as I'm concerned...
I can't disagree with you there Brad, why is it we need people in the middle of us to get work and vice versa. All these companies are just pivot sites to make money off the customer looking for workers and us the workers. They are ones making all the money I mean in the case of ServiceMagic how it be proved that all leads are legit. Great potential for extortion. You get a lead and they say they are just in the planning stage. And they give that to lead to 4 different contractors. There is nothing magic about their service in fact it is anything but magic but everyone thinks they gotta be on there now because they come up at the top of the searches because they have the resources.

We should all just create sites to find work for people then we could extort and make stuff up and just take money outta people's pockets. The BBB called me and made up a bunch a sh$t about reviews, said how good they were. I said lets here them then, oh no we can't do that....... click.

Brad, can't you just delete the Yelp account and start over or just sh$tcan them in the first place. Was it free? Most a the sites not all are free but they find a way to try to get you to upgrade to the premium service. They are supposed to be free. They all call and won't shut up about doing this and paying that......click.

We need to go back to the day where small business was important and you got work with a good reputation. You didn't need to have to go through someone else to get established. Those days are gone, pivot companies make all the money now and we do the work. Age a technology working against us.

I clicked the funny button about the feedback because it was. Maybe if we all do that people will get the message that it is just that, not really you but funny.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile
CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA

jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #34
vrusso123
N. E. Ohio tile-setter

well i just posted above her brad. lets push her to the bottom where she belongs.

"just keep stickin' 'em" - Pat Reagan
vrusso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #35
vrusso123
N. E. Ohio tile-setter

wow after reading her reviews she must be manic depressive. i love them, they're terrible, change my mind after they kissed my a$$, and now they're wonderful again! about the same company!? 'cmon lady. maybe i check to see if her comments are dated 28 days apart.........

Old 01-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #36
vrusso123
N. E. Ohio tile-setter

Make an account and post a comment. they wont all be filtered, and hers will be lost in a sea of kind words. and i meant what i said. thank you brad.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #37
mountain eagle
n00b

I looked at her review history and flagged her review stating that her review history should be looked at as she seems to be extorting by way of review.........

my smugmug gallery
mountain eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #38
Mountain Tile
Tile Contractor -- Northeastern PA.

I just posted a review for my buddy Brad, if enough of us post we can help him out here! C'mon peeps!! Postem up!!
Mountain Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #39
jondon

Count me in, I signed up just to post some truthful feedback for our man Brad, I hope it will stay there. Personally I don't think it matters that we only have one post, anything to drown out that misery of a post. Told you we will do anything we can to help you out fellow tilesetter

We don't need no steenkn lawyers, not yet anyway...lol

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

Old 01-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #40
chefwong

Interesting Read on the Yelp Operations.....

The only reason why I state such, is that I hardly Yelp but a bad experience - almost fraudulent with a retailer led me to put a review on Yelp. Lo and behold, it's now in the filtered section.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #41
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

Very interesting thread, especially because I am in the middle of hiring someone to update my whole heating/cooling system. I stay away from yelp because I heard about their methods, but I did check the reviews posted on the Google listing of the companies. I certainly wouldn't discount an installer based on one or two bad reviews, and I operate under the assumption that unhappy people are more likely to take the time to type than happy ones. I do like it when the business owner is willing to respond to the negative reviewer, though I don't know if yelp allows such things. I do most of my reviewing on Tripadvisor, which does. And google does, but it looks like Brad doesn't have a listing there.

Jon, it would be great if we could all just ask our neighbors who to hire, but that just doesn't work in a big urban area. You just have to bring people out for bids, do tons of research, and pray. I had a really knowledgeable guy come out to bid some hardwood refinishing for me, great references and all, but his chainsmoking underling did the work, and by the time I could see the ripples in the sanded floor it already had finish on it and I didn't want to go through the process again, along with a fight over the contract. I think we in the customer pool would just like it if those of you who really do good work could just glow in the dark or something. Short of that, we need those reviews.

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #42
vrusso123
N. E. Ohio tile-setter

i here tell that gueuze glows in the dark.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:09 AM   #43
Crumbles

I agree with what Wendy has to say, from a consumer view point. I use internet research for almost everything now. Occasionally friends or neighbors have suggestions. I can't remember the last time I looked in a phone book.

I do read reviews. I know they shouldn't influence me because there isn't any way to know if the reviewer is a shill or is ignorant of the correct way something should be done (such as waterproofing for a shower install!) What looks good on the surface, if it does, could fall apart in two years because what is underneath wasn't done properly.

If there is a way for Brad to submit a response it would be very helpful, I think. I haven't read the critical review, but on Angie's List I see responses that give the "other side" in a very professional, reasonable tone which at the very least neutralizes the criticism. It can in a very polite way make the critical reviewer look like an hysterical, ignorant, chronic malcontent. (Brad, if you can reply, have a good calm friend edit what you really want to say.)

From what I read about the business of the business of Service Magic I won't ever use it as a source. I've used a few people that I found on Angie's List. Results have been about 50/50.

I would love to see more websites for individuals, small companies, so I'd know what is available in my geo area. Maybe one website with a few specialties - tile, plumbing, electric, finish carpentry. Share the cost. Tell your potential customers about this site. I would be very impressed at the outset with someone who regularly reads and maybe posts on here. I have not read any other speciality sites where the members are so knowledgeable and willing to share their knowledge - and don't give the bum's rush to DIY's who are brave enough to want to do it themselves. I am sure many potential DIY's look and learn and realize they should have a professional do the job.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #44
Mountain Tile
Tile Contractor -- Northeastern PA.

Looks like our reviews have been filtered, what a bunch of crap of a site! I feel sorry for you folks that rely on these sites to find contractors, or to choose contractors. What a scam! We tried Brad, but unless you pay their extorsion fees, this site has it in for you!
Mountain Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:03 AM   #45
jondon

Yes, I was concerned that would be the case, I will now go delete my Yelp account. It is good to see the view from the consumer, I know in my experiences bad reviews are going to hurt. Yes if Brad could respond they could go back and fourth, would just bring more attention to it. He said, she said, start a war of words. Again they have it on there because it is negative and want Brad to pay $$ to get it removed. Bull$h$t middle-man sites.

Like I said finding small contractors who are good at what they do is possible but a hit or miss. Like Wendy mentioned about the hardwood guy, obviously she felt confident but his chainsmoking underling did the work. I hope the hardwood wasn't smoking too while he was sanding it. This is exactly the subject I touch upon on my website the lack of continuity. I make a point in my site of stating, I do the detailed est., and I do the work so on so fourth.

These sites are just ways to extort money like I said they are pivot sites. Reviews can be deceiving and really should be taken out of the mix but then look at Ebay one a the first to start that whole rating thing. One bad review can and will influence someone, now like on Ebay you have one bad review and 500 positive ones...... no matter.

Quote:
posted by Crumbles:
I would love to see more websites for individuals, small companies, so I'd know what is available in my geo area.
I think if you have access to the internet you should be able to find websites for individuals like myself and many others here on the forum. Many of us have a website. As for places to find people to do tile this forum would be the place to find people who are passionate and fair. But why do consumers constantly go with someone they know little about.... sorry but mostly it comes down to the bottomline price. From our standpoint, consumers want a fair price but so do we to do the work. I can't blame Wendy though, she was under the impression he was going to come out to do the work, this is a common practice. Ms. Wendy should have said where is *&^*&^*&, he was supposed to come out and do this. Consumers get manipulated. I had it happen once.

Homeowner who I became friends with told me the flooring guy said he is sending JoeBestTiler out to do the job, his best tiler..lol My friend says, Jon shows up not JoeBestTiler but it ended up working to his advantage but right away.... I walked into a situation where the guy just told him what he wanted to hear. Guy is a liar and I won't even work for him anymore, he put me into a potential bad situation. I have gone back to do work for his family and he knew who was showing up.

So sometimes as the consumer you have have to take your knocks just like we gotta takem. This forum is the best place to find someone to do tile. We don't operate on reviews you can see our work right here on the forum.

Maybe we contractors would like the same kind of info on consumers like who is gonna pay right away, who is gonna take a money, etc. Consumers see their own side, do they see what we have to deal with as well with some consumers. How would you like it someone wrote, "takes their time to pay, you might wait a month." You get my point there are two sides here and sites like Yelp in the middle are anything but YHelping anyone but themselves.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com