Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
mcu

Can you remove scratches on a shiny porcelain tile?

Hi,

We got installed a shiny porcelain tile by a pro (not so sure anymore) and he did a great job with installing/leveling it, but there are scratches on every tile from his metal level. From what I see his level had cement on it from previous job and he grinded it to take it off and made it sharp. Through out the entire install he was sliding it from tile to tile and now that we cleaned it, we noticed tons of scratches when the sunlight hits in the day and the halogens at night. I tried cleaning it real well and even tried some mold car wax with a scratch remover in it, but no luck.

it looks like a hockey rink where its super shiny with scratches all over. Any suggestions or are we out of luck??
Old 01-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
lyonkster
Longtime DIYer, Kerdi Newbie

If this is through body porcelain, you can do what I did and use a wet (or possibly dry) polisher with very fine grits to remove the scratches and bring back the shine. Something like this:

Name:  IMG_0053s.jpg
Views: 7657
Size:  36.4 KB

You can probably do the same for glazed porcelain, but I would experiment first on an extra piece to make sure you don't break through the glazing.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
mcu

I tried on a scrap piece with wet 400 paper and it helped on the lighter scratches but took off the shine a bit also. Is it normal for a tile to scratch so easy? I think I might of been wrong about his level or it may not only be his level but his kneepads that have cement on them as he drags them makes the scratches. I tried it on a scrap piece and it replicated the issue.

At a point now where we don't know what to do anymore. I know the installer will blame it on the tile when he comes tomorrow and the place i bought it from is saying its the installer. At the end we are stuck with a tile that looks terrible, and to remove it all and start over when we are suppose to move in next week and have to get all new tiles and repay someone to install is not really an option.

I called a place that restores granite and marble and he told me that he can not do much on porcelaine except to sand the whole thing and reglaze at $12/ft. We have 1200 ft!!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

the machines that polish the porcelain in the factory are million dollar machines, I doubt hand polishing or even a grinder will get you results. you might get swirls like a bad wax job on a dark car.
..................Check out our Blog
Florida Installer of Laticrete HydroBan & HydroBarrier
....Florida Installer of Schluter Kerdi & Kerdi-Board
................."Waterproofed Tile Showers"
........Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

Is this a glazed porcelain, or a through-body, or solid color tile? Porcelain floor tile generally are quite hard, and hard to scratch, but put a glass glaze on them, and the glass is quite a bit softer and subject to scratching. Sand from cement often has some quartz (well, it is often primarly quartz) in it, and that is harder than glass (glaze), but usually softer than a good porcelain. To get a good shine, you'd likely need to go as fine as a 3000 grit or maybe even higher (but that should be plenty), while using the intermediate grits. Each step sands away the scratches of the coarser grit.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
lyonkster
Longtime DIYer, Kerdi Newbie

I think you can do it with a grinder and a complete set of good pads (up to 10000), I did it for my bullnose. But if the entire 1200 sq ft is scratched up, it'll take you forever. You would probably be better off finding someone with more professional equipment to do it quicker and better.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:21 AM   #7
Sharpen

Has anyone tried the product?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik_lmFsbddI#t=43

Does it work?

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com