Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 01-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #46
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

Quote:
Todd,

Google doesn't care who or what made the site. They are only interested in content.

Here is your title as it stands: <title>Tile &amp; Stone</title>

It could be: <title>Todd Nielsen Tile and Stone - Minnesota Twin Cities Area</title>

See what you can do with just the title tag?
You're absolutely right JB, google ranks information on a page and title is highly prioritized. The Meta information I mentioned above can help as well as you can use a Meta title that google will look at but will be hidden on the main page.

Quote:
Daniel , this is what the programer told me few years ago , but I told him and still keep to have the home page in a way contrary to SEO . It seems to me that personality or who you are gets confused or replaced by the robots. Not that I disagree with what you are saying , you are marketing your company , not your personality .
I have looked at your site and the images are loading with Flash which is good but the file may just be too big or your hosting may be too slow. Either way it hurts your numbers on a google ranking.

I would look into having that file size shrunk or even having it done in HTML 5 as Flash is being phased out due to how bloated it is on system resources.

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #47
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Jack, your title is a mile long. It should be six to a dozen words depending on the length of the words. All those extra keywords will work better in the "description." and in the body of your page.

While Daniel is discussing images, I think the best way to handle them is by limiting the file size. Convert all your images to jpeg, gif or bmp. Your largest image size should be around 100 kb. And that's pretty large for a jpeg. Your site is compared to every other site on the web as to how fast it loads. Our site is rated "fast," as you might guess.

But I would like to get deeper into that after we all master what's in the head, and there are no pictures there.

Okay, we've covered the <title> and the "description." We can go back to them any time someone has a question.

Another meta-tag you should have is called "robots." It should look something like this:

<meta name="robots" content="index, follow"/>

There will be some variations that work just as well, but it should basically look like the above. The robots tag tells search bots how to treat your site when they comb it. You want them to index everything in the search index, and you want them to follow all the links on your site, both internal and external.

Internal links are just that. They link the various pages of your site together. External links go to other web sites. That is why you want as many incoming links as you can get. The more incoming links the better your ranking.

Someone suggested earlier that we should maybe set up some sort of link collaborative that everybody here could use. But if I'm understanding that correctly, it's not a good idea. It's better for each of you to conduct your own link exchange program with the owners of other sites. That way your links page or area will be unique. Uniqueness is another thing bots like to see.

Most of your incoming links should have something to do with your business: other tile sites, suppliers, manufacturers of tile products and building products in general. You can have a few unrelated links, but most of them should be related to the tile, stone and construction businesses. Additionally, links from higher ranked sites are gold. They make you look good to the robots. Links from JohnBridge.com are in that category. All of you who have your site url posted in your sig. get a link back to your site each and every time you post. We ask that you return the favor by linking back to JohnBridge.com

Back to the robots tag, if you have a page or pages you want to remain private/not listed in any search engines, you can deny access to them by telling the robots to stay out. It would look like this in the source of those pages:

<meta name="robots" content="no index, no follow"/>

And the little darlings will obey your wishes.

There is a "keywords" tag that you will see on some of our pages, but don't bother with it yourself. That tag has been abused to the point that search engines no longer place any value on it at all, and the wrong keywords there can actually get you into trouble.

Reviewing:

<title> is very important.

"description" can be used as a continuation of the title tag and is important.

"robots" is important as it tells the little fellas what they can and cannot carry back to their masters.

"keywords" should not be used. If it's already there and the keywords are relevant to your page and not repeated, just ignore it. The robots probably will.

P.S. I just took a peek into the backroom and found bots as follows (several of each), and some of them are reading this thread:

Google Spider

Google AdSense Spider

MSNbot Spider

Yahoo Slurp Spider

Last edited by John Bridge; 01-12-2012 at 01:58 PM.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #48
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

I think another thing to touch upon JB is that images should be 72DPI (dots per inch). A lot of the times, images now a days are take around 240-300DPI which is ideal for print. Web graphics should be 72DPI since computer monitors have a lower resolution than a printer.

It sounds confusing but make sure your web guys are converting images to 72DPI and are in RGB color space. If you are working on the site yourself, Macs and Windows based machines can convert images to 72DPI pretty easily with the image viewing software that came stock.

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #49
Levi the Tile Guy
Tile and Stone Contractor

I want to go back to description. What do I put there, and how do I do it?

Grand Junction, Colorado Tile and Stone installation

Levi the Tile Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #50
John Bridge
Mudmeister

<title>Levi's Custom Tile and Stone, LLC - Levi the Tile Guy, Custom Tile installation, Grand Junction, Colorado, Tile showers, Tile floors, Tile Contractor</title>

<meta name="description" content="Levi The Tile Guy is a general contractor in Grand Junction, Colorado specializing in custom tile and stone work." />

[View the source code to see the corruption I'm talking about.]

Okay, Levi. Here's what you have now. You see that you have some repetition in the title, which is a waste of space. Plus you'll see what happens when you try to use the apostrophe. It corrupts the line, so remove the apostrophe and just say Levis. I know, I know.

I would make the title look like this:

<title>Levis Tile and Stone - Grand Junction Colorado Tile Showers, Tile Floors</title>

Then the "description":

<meta name="description" content="Grand Junction general contractor specializing in tile and stone work. Free estimates."/>

Instead of free estimates you could list "Schluter Kerdi Showers" or anything else you deem important. Remember, you're trying to anticipate what people might type into Google. They won't type in any self-complimentary adjectives, for example, and they probably won't type in things like "quality workmanship.

All the other warm and fuzzy stuff you can put into your text that people see on the front of the page. It will also be in the body section of the source code, so the bots will see it there also. Pack your first paragraph with a few juicy keywords and phrases. Then tell folks how wonderful you are in the second paragraph.

I'm not accusing you of being vain, Levi; I'm putting this here for everyone, including Jack Hamilton.

P.S. Remember that the title and description will be different on your other pages -- plenty of opportunity to get other good keyword stuff in there. If you have time, view the source of some of the secondary pages on JohnBridge.com for titles and descriptions.

Last edited by John Bridge; 01-12-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #51
Levi the Tile Guy
Tile and Stone Contractor

well I can't even find description under the code, and I sure can't find how to edit it on my wordpress dashboard. I will work on it. I really really appreciate all the help.

Grand Junction, Colorado Tile and Stone installation

Levi the Tile Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #52
John Bridge
Mudmeister

In Word Press the description is quite a bit below the title in an area called All in One SEO pack . . . It's tucked in there. Look closely.

On your dashboard it's at the very bottom of the editing page (after you select a page to edit). The title is right above it. Type words in the spaces and then go up the right side to either preview the page or update it. Then after a moment hit the view page link near the top.

Last edited by John Bridge; 01-12-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #53
oakview
Retired Moderator - Owned by two rescued greyhounds

John, Levi's using Headspace SEO - a different SEO plugin. Things might be in a different location.
"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?." -John Wooden
oakview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #54
oakview

I read through the first couple of pages and skimmed through the rest, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned.

Proper site structure and careful use of meta tags (forget the keywords meta tag, it's dead) are definitely beneficial, as are some of the other things discussed. These are good first steps, but just as critical in SEO optimization is the content. Use of relevant keywords within the content wording is very relevant to search results. Prudent use of internal linking is another good tip to employ, just don't over do it.

Also, if it hasn't been mentioned, submit your website to the search engines and local business listings. Many people are searching for nearby businesses, and being listed is a good thing.

See how your business is listed at Google, Yahoo, and other top local search engines.

Bottom line is if you want to achieve high search engine rankings, you must put in a little elbow grease and follow best practices.

Lots of good reading here if you have the time and desire - they are one of the recognized leaders in SEO around the world.

BruceClay - Search Engine Optimization Training and SEO Services

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?." -John Wooden
Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #55
Hamilton
Bucket abuser

I shortened my title line. Gonna stop while I'm ahead.

Hamiltontileandstone.com

Temecula Tile and Natural stone contractor
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #56
John Bridge
Mudmeister

I was trying to go slow, Dave. You know, like me? Mainly I hit on just three tags -- title, description and robots. Daniel has been talking about images -- size vs. loading time. These guys aren't ready for what comes next until we get these basics down. Content will be the next area we'll cover.

I did suggest a while back that if someone needs somebody to go clear through a site or start over on one they should hire you. I told them you were dirt cheap reasonable.

I wasn't aware there were other SEO plugins for WP. You never taught me that.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #57
oakview

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
I was trying to go slow, Dave.
I done tole myself I shoulda read alla posts.

Wouldn't hurt the guys to do some reading at Bruce Clay's site, at their own pace of course. If one does some digging around his site, there's a lot of goodies, starting with the basics.

And don't be spreadin' the word that I'm cheap reasonable. Folks might go and get the wrong idea 'bout what I do for a living.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #58
Hammy

Send a message via AIM to Hammy
Interesting I Googled myself ( T & J Construction Services ) and came up # 5 and I dont even have a website yet.

Go figure.

Googled " ceramic tile Tullahoma " came up mid way second page.

Im learning a lot here and might even get a site.

Hammy

Professionally Built Mold - Mildew - Moisture Resistant Showers
Using Laticrete & Schluter Products

Click here to Visit us on Face Book
Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #59
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Hammy, if you look at the very last line of those results you'll see the web site url they came from.

And what do you mean, you might get a site. Everyone in any kind of business that deals with the public needs a web site. It sounds complicated here, but it's not. It's the cheapest and most effective way you can advertise.

While my web site was growing I advertised in all sorts of conventional way, the Green Sheet, Penny Save and the like. I also advertised in community papers. Paid quite a bit of money out each month. By the time I quit full-time tile setting in early 2006 the only advertising I had was my site. I continued doing tile work in the winters for several years. My last paid tile job was completed in Dec, 2010.

People say, yeah, but your site is unique. Yes, but it wasn't always that way. I launched it in 1999, and a couple years went by before it began to gain popularity. More years went by before companies wanted to advertise here. You've got to start from nothing somewhere and keep working at it. It's like everything else. But there is nothing better (and cheaper) you can do for your business that to develop a useful web site.

Here are a couple places where you can find statistics on the present-day JohnBridge.com

http://www.markosweb.com/www/johnbridge.com/

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/johnbridge.com#
Old 01-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #60
Arizona Floors
Boswell Flooring

Thanks for the website suggestions.

I neglect my website, although I shouldn't, last year it was the cause of 4 solid months of great work. I haven't received as much work from it lately so I guess it's time to rework some things.

I am open to suggestions. (site is in signature)

My title reads:

<title>Boswell Flooring Tile Contractor-Tile Setter-Tile Installation Chandler AZ</title>

Would you change anything on that?

Will the space you add before and after the "-" in the title matter? Or does it just look better?

Last edited by Arizona Floors; 01-13-2012 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Added signature
Arizona Floors is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com