Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #46
Winter River
DIYer with more projects than time

Another trick with SpectraLock is to buy the (cheap) part C in colors you think you might like, then mix with water for a first try. You'll be able to see if it's too gray, too pink, etc. With the light to medium colors that I tried, the part C mixed with water was nearly identical to the color when mixed with parts A & B. You can try it on your installed tiles, when it dries just vacuum it out. Still, of course, when you think you've decided, do a sample board with the proper mix just to be sure.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #47
KHowe

Great, thanks for the replies Wendy and Elise!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #48
cheakamus

You can also order for free, online, from Laticrete, sets of plastic color blocks that represent (very accurately, in my opinion) the actual color of the grout. Take your time choosing the color that works best for you (it may not always be obvious). Another advantage to Spectralock is that the color is remarkably consistent from batch to batch, so you can do a pail one day and another pail the next with no visible demarkation line.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #49
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
Another advantage to Spectralock is that the color is remarkably consistent from batch to batch, so you can do a pail one day and another pail the next with no visible demarkation line.
While often true, it's still recommended to use batches from the same lot when using multiple batches or dry mix Part C's together first, then divide them back into batches.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #50
KHowe

cheakamus, I wrote them an email (as I didn't see anywhere to order samples on the Laticrete site), and they unfortunately have discontinued doing that.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #51
lyonkster
Longtime DIYer, Kerdi Newbie

I just got a bunch of samples from Laticrete in the mail. Go here, specify which ones you want (there are three pages), and give them your contact info. Takes a couple of days.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #52
bhowe

I always get a little nervous trying new things. SpectraLOCK is an Epoxy grout. I have never used Epoxy grouts of any kind. I read on Spectralocks website the directions for the product. Here are my concerns, maybe I'm worrying over nothing.
1-The grout sets up around 80 minutes. I am not confident that I can do a clean job the entire floor and tub surround in 80 minutes. So, I should split the ingedients and mix half batches. There is some chance of not getting the mixture exactly correct!
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=15255
2-Cleanup! Wow, everything points to mutiple cleanups. Work neatly, then wash with a remover, then wash again with vinegar and remover. Dry with terry cloth. Do all this in the first 24hours or else harsh cleaners are required! I fear having a haze on the tiles even after multiple cleanings. I also have some smaller accent tiles, how do I clean them with out making it worse, as the grout lines are so close to the center of the tile?
Quote:
Add initial wash cleaning additive to two gallons of clean water and mix until fully dissolved.
from MIKE2 on the above link.
3-I assume the "Cleaning Additive" comes with the grout mix? I don't see it on the outside of the packaging, but it could be inside.
I guess I am just looking for someone to say relax, its not that bad, it cleans up easy.

Bill

Last edited by bhowe; 03-01-2012 at 08:44 AM.
bhowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #53
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

Relax, its not that bad, it cleans up easy.

This was my second time tiling and the first was more than 15 years ago. Spectralock was great. Yes, it's best to mix small batches so you can apply a section then go back to do cleaning on schedule. The cleaning additive is essentially vinegar. Once you run out just use a half cup of vinegar to 2 gallons of water (that's from memory, so read the instructions). We found it easier to use lots of clean vinegar water, so we changed buckets far more often than recommended.

If you find haze later, you can get it off glazed tile with a putty knife, a white scrubber, and some pure vinegar. Heck, I'm about to try that on some haze I just discovered. It's been over 6 months. I bet it works.

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #54
chefwong

Hi Leon -

Here's quick FWIW. The samples are never true to life....
Both sticker and clip chip for your example..
You always need to make test samples
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #55
KHowe

Wendy, thanks for the words of encouragement.

It is tough not to be a little hesitant about trying it, when the instructional video on Youtube has comments like these:

Quote:
This grout just cost me to lose my job if you wait the 30 mins its says to clean it sticks to the floor and is impossiable to clean up. and its more of a sand then liquid it took me over 3 1/2 hours to grout 250 sq feet of tile
troyjunior86 1 year ago
Quote:
This video is deceptive in so many ways. I have installed tile/grout professionally for 15 years.
1) Laticrete SpectraLock Pro Grout, when mixed fully is 3 times more sandy and thicker than show in video at 70 degrees temperature.
2) So: Effort to press grout into grout lines requires 5 times more effort to show than the video actor shows.
3) The very smallest size container for SpectraLock grout takes 40 minutes to install and coverage is ~50 square feet or 1/2 stated on box.
GeneralKarl 1 year ago
4) After the 40 minutes of installation time, you have to spend 10 minutes cleaning you mixing tool in 50-50 vinegar/water. This means you will be IMMEDIATLY doing initial swirl cleaning after heavy labor installing.
5) You cannot swirl and immediately diagonal wipe as shown, the grout would be uncleanable before you got to the end. You have to swirl all then go over the whole floor diagonally, i.e. two cleanings back to back. So 30 minutes to initial clean.
6) After you dump your two buckets of dirty cleaning water (25 square feet each bucket MAX, not 50 as stated in the video) you have to IMMEDIATELY do the final cleaning as once this grout drys whatever is remaining is permanently part of your floor... forever.
Homeowners beware of using this product, virtually NO installers will install this grout as, even with many years of experience, it is very difficult to use and must be done as I have described. Ignore the video.

GeneralKarl 1 year ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7iPW...eature=related
Old 03-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #56
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

Yeah, I remember seeing those. But I already knew DIYers like us had done it and posted pretty pics on this forum. I think noobs are actually at an advantage here. I see lots of posts from pros who have been grouting for decades. They all agree epoxy is harder than cement. But they have been over the learning hump with cement. They don't mix it wrong or wash it out. It seems 80% of the DIYers who use cement grout are unhappy with the final results. The color is splotchy or too light. OTOH, the Spectralock users will happily complain about what a pain it is, but it looks AWESOME. When done by beginners. And if you screw up it's fixable. So ignore those old whiners and come over to the epoxy side.

Oh, and wear gloves. I developed a nasty allergy to the stuff. Which is why I may try urethane for my next project. Otherwise Mr. Wendy has to do all the grouting.

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #57
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Wendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy
Otherwise Mr. Wendy has to do all the grouting.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #58
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

I've not seen the videos... but i use Spectra LOCK on almost every job, and mix/spread/cleanup full units on walls by myself regularly with excellent results. And i know my grout days are gonna be a workout, so you should too.

The written directions are simple to follow, just need to follow them and you'll be successful.

If you're concerned about time/batch size, use mini-units and divide them smaller if needed. Use an accurate kitchen scale and you won't mix em wrong.

For cleanup, have *all* the cleanup water for both cleanings ready and mixed with cleaning packets (or white vinegar at about 1/2 cup : 2 gals water) and sitting there waiting for you before mixing the grout. Have sponges, extra sponges, white terry towels/rags, micro fiber towels, etc... ready and get a helper, if only to watch the clock.

Don't forget, after the 2 cleanings above, you still do a final inspection after the grout dries and maybe another cleaning + rinse. I know it's a lot of buckets of water... but having them ready ahead of time, or having a helper to clean/fill buckets is important and how pro's get it right.

If you prepare properly, and have everything set up for success, when you're done you'll wonder why you got all worked up about it.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #59
lyonkster
Longtime DIYer, Kerdi Newbie

You guys make me want to try SpectraLock just for the fun of it! I can't use it in my shower because I can't find a decent color, but from what you say about it, it sounds like something that I have to try just to say I did .
Old 03-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #60
bhowe

Used the SpectraLOCK grout this weekend. Everything went better than anticipated. The grout appliead easily. I mixed the entire batch instead of trying to get into splitting it into smaller batches. It lasted about 80 minutes before setting up (just as the instructions said). I tried to stay real clean with the install, using the float to squeegee of excess. Cleaned up twice, and everything was done. I would use it again.

Bill
bhowe is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com