Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
fladug

carpet to tile transition

I have a house that I am upgrading while it is vacant. I am having carpet put in on Monday just in the bedrooms and will come back later and put tile in bathroom and kitchen. My question is, do I need to have the carpet installer do anything special at the doorways that will lead into a tiled area? Am I wrong in thinking that I was going to have him just stop halfway in the doorway and I would just butt the tile against the carpet when I tile the rooms?.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
CanyonTile

Have him stop at the halfway point underneath the doorway when the door is closed. Are you on concrete or a wood subfloor?

If on concrete have him use a piece of Z=bar for the carpet transition. It will hold the carpet and tuck it down better than a standard piece of tack strip.

If on a wood subfloor, DO NOT have him finish the door ways, let the carpet overlap the door way by 3 to 4 inches, and wait for the tile to be installed, that way he can use shingles or other techniques to ramp the carpet gradualy up to the tile transition.

We Got You Covered

www.canyontileandstone.com
CanyonTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
fladug

Thanks for the reply, I have a concrete floor also. I will have him use the z bar.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

I dont like z bars or any of those type transitions between tile & carpet.
maybe a Schluter Jolly if anything.
I like the tile and carpet tucked to it. a simple tack strip installed at the doorway
and let the tile guy cut his tile close to it. the tile guy should be able to cut and
tuck the carpet after its grouted easily.
..................Check out our Blog
Florida Installer of Laticrete HydroBan & HydroBarrier
....Florida Installer of Schluter Kerdi & Kerdi-Board
................."Waterproofed Tile Showers"
........Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
CanyonTile

Brian, out of curiosity why dont you like z-bars ?
I could understand if the carpet guys were coming in after the tile work was done, just due to the risk involved in tucking down the z-bar.

But if the carpet is going in first, why would you stay away from one ? It holds the edge of the carpet much better than tack alone and the metal itself is hidden so there is no transition to see other than the carpet itself.

Color me curious

We Got You Covered

Last edited by CanyonTile; 12-06-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: I know Brian is sharp, but his name still isnt Brain...
Old 12-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
Houston Remodeler

I also prefer the carpet to be tucked and if possible be a smidge higher than the tile to protect the tile edge. A metal profile is a nice addition and cheap protection.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe
Brian, out of curiosity why dont you like z-bars ?
You mean aside from'em lookin' ugly, Gabe?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
CanyonTile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
You mean aside from'em lookin' ugly, Gabe?
There is nothing ugly about them, you dont see any metal, just carpet.

BUT, since I searched to find a profile, being to lazy to draw and scan one this morning, I did find another transition some are calling Z-bar, but we call a T and it is ugly as all hell.

Pic on the Left is what we here in sunny, currently cold California call a Z-bar. It is a thin metal stip that helps roll the carpet over on itself and pinches it in. Which is what I suggest.

Pic on the right is what we quasi normal people call a T, but some east of us are calling Z. Why I dont know, it looks nothing like a Z but to each thier own This transition seems only suitable for someone with really bad taste.
Attached Images

We Got You Covered

Old 12-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
cx

Well, I'll stand corrected, then. I was thinking of something else entirely.

But in my part of the world the carpet guys would just put down a tack strip (or two) about a quarter-inch, depending upon the carpet type, from the edge of the tile and just tuck into the gap.

And I've never seen one properly done in that style come loose, which surprised me for a long time but I've now come to accept.

Only time I've seen that Z-bar used is where a carpet edge is gonna be fully exposed to view, with no trim at all. I can think of exactly one of those and remember exactly where it was on accounta I had occasion recently to go back to that house to install hand railing in that area.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
CanyonTile

That is a standard practice around here also. I am just partial to z-bar, holds up better in my experience.

We Got You Covered

Old 12-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #11
fladug

I have one more question. I was going to go ahead and hang my prehung door before the carpet installer. Should I put the door jambs all the way to the concrete slab and then put the trim a half inch up?It will be going from carpet to tile.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

If by "trim", you're referring to base molding, you need to know how thick the carpet is to know what a good amount is to keep it off the floor. For fairly normal plush carpet, all my carpet guys seem to like ~3/8".

For the bottom of door jambs, it depends on what flooring is going in. I'll hold it off the floor or undercut them if it's a situation to help with carpet install. But don't forget to consider a jamb that straddles two different flooring materials of dis-similar thickness...like carpet and tile. You many not be able to get away with a straight-line undercut across the entire jamb going from carpet to tile.

By the way, I generally install carpeting last, after all the tile/wood/vinyl is installed. I find it a pain to install tile (especially with a metal profile strip) against carpeting that's already turned & tacked or is left long. Not to mention how careful you have to be to keep mortar and grout off the new carpet.

Click here to learn how you can help fight the craptacular disease of Multiple Sclerosis (MS).
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #13
cx

What Goldstein said. Some carpet guys'll whine if you don't give'em a half-inch above rough floor, but 3/8ths is usually enough.

And when I set my interior doors I always set the jamb low enough to accommodate the lowest finished floor covering. If we end up with a floor covering higher than that, jambs can be cut to different heights.

My preference in new construction has always been to get the hard-surface flooring in before interior doors are set.

Carpet is always the last trade in the house with the exception of the painter for his final touch-up. Well, when planning is actually working, of course.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #14
cwilde72

Schluter's Reno TK is my fav for carpet to tile transitions
Attached Images

cwilde72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com