Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 12-28-2011, 04:37 AM   #16
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
I just used this on a job and the customer was complaining.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile
CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA

jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:47 PM   #17
CarlDoItMyselfTiler

Loose & gritty after full 7 day cure

Hi Folks,

New here to this forum. I'm a do-it-myself tiler on my third major tile project here at my house. I used TEC Power Grout in the 5 lbs jars, which include a measure line on how much water needs to be added.

I used the grout in a tub/shower surround. I followed all the instructions quite closely, and even let it cure for a full 7 days before running the shower even though the packaging says 24 hours before shower. When curing, it looks like a normal grout, but today I ran the shower for the first time. I noticed on the parts that got wet, if touched it felt loose & gritty, and some of it comes off. Has anyone who has used this specific Power Grout had this type of problem? I called into HB Fuller and told them what was happening. The person who took my call was not able to address my issue, so they are refering it to one of their "Area Managers". Its late in the day Friday, so I don't expect to hear back until early next week, but wanted to see what experience others have had with TEC Power Grout.

-Carl
Old 12-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #18
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Carl, welcome.

I can imagine any remaining grout haze causing the condition you describe. Is there any chance of that? Is the grout soft to your fingernail or hard? Does it crumble away with your fingernail?

A picture may be helpful.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:21 PM   #19
CarlDoItMyselfTiler

Hi Tool Guy,

As far as grout haze, I had always viewed that as what winds up on the tile face and not on the actual grout lines. I guess my understanding was a little off base if you are saying grout haze can also wind up on the grout lines. I suppose that could be it, but how can I tell?

The grout is definitely hard to the fingernail, for sure. But if I use my the edge of my fingernail like a scraper, some grit comes off. When I wet it, you can see some grit residue in the wiped off water.

The same person at Fuller called me back and left a message. They thought it may be possible that the grout hardened too quick, and outlined steps to "re-harden" it as something that may help. They advised me to mist it twice a day, morning & evening, for three days and then let it dry 24 hours after the third day.

The attached photo shows what it currently looks like.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #20
CarlDoItMyselfTiler

I did follow the manufacturer's suggestion to attempt to "re-harden" the grout, but there was only marginal difference in the amount of powder grout released when wet. I'm wondering if this will subside after using the shower for a while, or if it will continue to the point where all the grout will come out. Any thoughts?
Old 01-04-2012, 05:41 AM   #21
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Carl, Welcome aboard.

Seems to me the grout has been in there about three weeks now?

I would go ahead and scrub it with a brush and clean water. If the grout comes out it comes out. I don't know of any way to harden it at this point.

P.S. If the grit goes down the drain make sure you run plenty of water through the trap. I'm not concerned about cement, but the grit might accumulate.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #22
Jc0379
Josh B & S Home Improvement/ Owner

Jon, you said you used this on a job and the customer was complaining, what were they complaining about? Reason I ask is my local distributor wants me to try it, said I would like it better than Spectralock, I doubt it though.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #23
Toddman
Independent Tile Contractor

Went to a seminar put on by our local Tec rep last week to introduce this grout. Have a bag in hand and will try it out on a backsplash Friday. I'm interested in the fact that it doesn't need to be sealed, because this job is an hour and a half away. I'm not going to be able to hang around when it's done, so I won't be able to comment on the color consistency aspect of it when it dries. Sounds like it's got some great stain protection too.

Good work is not cheap, and cheap work is not good.

http://www.toddthetileguy.com

Toddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #24
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

25 lb bag? I hear tec switching to plastic like laticrete.

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #25
Toddman
Independent Tile Contractor

Yep Rick... plastic it is.

Good work is not cheap, and cheap work is not good.

http://www.toddthetileguy.com

Toddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #26
NerdCage

I'm having the exact same problem with this grout. Followed the instructions exactly, and yet the grout just won't cure. As soon as it gets wet, it just wipes right out. I'm at a loss what to do.

I'll be calling the manufacturer tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #27
Mike K.

Dear Steve:

Sorry you are experiencing this issue. We'd certainly like to help you. Our Technical Service department is available to assist you and we want to make sure we get this resolved. The number is 800-832-9023. Or if you'd rather, we can contact you if you want to provide your contact information.
Mike K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #28
jason1083

Mike: If you are affiliated with Tec/ H.B Fuller (as your previous post suggests) the mods are going to ask that you put something in your signature line indicating this.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #29
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Johnny fixed it.

For the record, it appears we have complaints from two diyers. Don't get me wrong. We love diyers, but they don't have the experience that pros have. We'll be paying attention here to see how this is resolved.

Last edited by John Bridge; 01-24-2012 at 04:30 PM.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #30
NerdCage

I did indeed call. They took my information and said they have a paint on product which should solve the problem. If I had to guess, I'd say this wasn't the first time they've heard this complaint. After taking the lot number, she put me on hold and came back with the proposed solution. I could tell she was being told by someone else in the room how the product worked. Still waiting on it to arrive, I'll be using it ASAP and will report back. Got a bathroom that's finished except for the tile. Getting sick of the toilet sitting in my living room!

John's right, I am a DIYer. This is not my first tile job by a long shot, but I'm no pro. I am a very technical person, and followed the instructions to a T, though obviously something went wrong.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com